'96 Johnson 50 hp cranks, has fuel, no start

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Waiting on girlfriend to get home with spark checker. Compression is 140 in both cylinders. What SHOULD it be, minimum?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Compression sounds good. Spark should jump a 7/16" open air gap on tester.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. No spark on tester. No spark holding plug to head. Either plug. Check wires first, then......?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It's very likely NOT the spark plug wires. It is very likely the kill switch is not engaged, bad ignition switch, bad wiring from the two "M" terminals on the switch, or you have a bad ignition module. It probably is NOT the ignition switch but more likely the kill switch or wiring. Verify all that before you spring for a module.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where is the kill switch? PO stated that it didn't have one, which I find odd as boat and motor are both '96 models. There is a graphic of a kill switch on the control housing. There is also a thumb screw looking thing right under the key switch, which I took to be a tension adjuster for something.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. Can I see if it's offset or intact by just taking off the nut? Looks like I need a puller to get the flywheel off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Correction ---If there is no spark the flywheel key is not the issue.--Likely it is the powerpack or kill switch.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I fingered that. Even if keys broke or offset, as long as the flywheel is spinning it'll still fire but be outta time. Considering snipping the black/yellow. Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo250443.jpeg
    photo250443.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250444.jpeg
    photo250444.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250445.jpeg
    photo250445.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250446.jpeg
    photo250446.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The rubber connector in engine area don't seem to come apart (which don't make sense but I find no seams) that the one you're talking about?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
At power pack there is a five pin amphenol connnector. Jump all four wires that are not blk/yel. This leaves blk/yel open. There is a seam on connector. They can be tight.

After opening the blk/yel wire test for spark. If there is spark test key switch, kill switch and related wires.if they trest good replace pack

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Isolated black/yellow wire. No spark. Downloading service manual now for testing instructions. What is this "pack" that you speak of?

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So if it calls for a "peak meter reading" I'm going to make the connections, do the test and watch for the highest read out. Yay/nay? Got the factory service manual and don't have all the high speed test equipment. Just a digital multimeter and a bunch of wires and stuff. Hammer. Crescent wrench. You know.

Fed

Commander
CDI also say to test with the Yellow wires disconnected from the rectifier, quick & easy before going off to test stator outputs.

Fed

Commander
FWIW you could have also used a simple Ohm meter test on the Black/Yellow to test the boat side of the kill circuit.
Connect meter between boat side Black/Yellow and power pack ground then operate the key switch & lanyard switch and diagnose the results.
That way you're testing the complete circuit and components in one go.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
CDI also say to test with the Yellow wires disconnected from the rectifier, quick & easy before going off to test stator outputs.

What is "CDI" and how do I get some? Going off factory manual right now. So far the circuit tests as it should. Except for the no spark crap