Power Pack Test?

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1974 Evinrude 115 hp on my boat and another one for parts, I did some simple test that indicate a bad power pack- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCmu1YuxqI so I replaced the power pack from my parts motor still have no spark to plugs. Does anyone know if you can test a power pack off the motor? Or what should try next.
Thanks
Joe

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
What makes you think your spare pack is any good? Some of the best ignition troubleshooting is found in the T/S guide at this website: cdielectronics.com. You should read through the section that applies to your specific year engine. You may need to borrow/rent a special electrical tester: a "peak-reading" voltmeter. Check the stator and timer base first. If they meet test criteria, then it could be the pack.

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What makes you think your spare pack is any good? Some of the best ignition troubleshooting is found in the T/S guide at this website: cdielectronics.com. You should read through the section that applies to your specific year engine. You may need to borrow/rent a special electrical tester: a "peak-reading" voltmeter. Check the stator and timer base first. If they meet test criteria, then it could be the pack.

Thanks for getting back to me,I don't know if that spare pack is any good, Thats what I was asking if you can bench test a power pack, or maybe what can I check what gives power to the power pack. I did go to CDelectronics, pulled Black and yellow wire off of power pack and still no spark, then it says pull yellow wires off rectifier, I did that and still no spark and after that I have no idea what they want you to check. I appriciate your help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That's not how you test a pack......the light could flash but still not send enough voltage to coil for it to step up and jump a air gap.

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can someone tell me what sends power to the power pack, so I can can check that.
Thanks
Joe

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class
The stator generates a lower voltage pulse to the pack, which in turn sends a lower voltage to the coil, which converts that pulse to a high voltage for the spark plug. The timer base sets the timing of the pulse and has to be functional for spark. Do a search for cdi's website and read their diagnostics guide. A regular multimeter is fine for an initial check. Right now you are looking for any activity on the stator and timing base.

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The stator generates a lower voltage pulse to the pack, which in turn sends a lower voltage to the coil, which converts that pulse to a high voltage for the spark plug. The timer base sets the timing of the pulse and has to be functional for spark. Do a search for cdi's website and read their diagnostics guide. A regular multimeter is fine for an initial check. Right now you are looking for any activity on the stator and timing base.

Thanks for getting back to me, I was on CDI's website before I posted here, got as far as removing black and yellow wire from power pack, still no spark then it said to remove yellow wires from rectifier still no spark. No spark is the problem I'm having with my motor, CDI's site get a little confusing to me after the rectifier.
Thanks I'll look there again
Joe
s website

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK guys never got this solved last year, any new ideas? I'm going to start from the beginning again unless someone can tell me how to test the power pack I took off the motor.
Thanks
Joe

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You don't check the power pack. You check everything around the pack and if that's all okay, you replace the pack.

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, then it looks like I need a powerpack

I'd start from the battery and work backwards.

Do a Voltage Drop test on battery
Check your starter. If you have a spare try that
No power to plugs, try your coil terminals on both of your powerpacks
No power at all on your coil terminals? Check the stator and flywheel magnets. These two things together are what provide power to your pack
Inspect your flywheel key too. If its sheared off that would also explain not getting power.
Doesnt hurt to check all your grounds and especially your battery cables to make sure you have strong solid connections everywhere.

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd start from the battery and work backwards.

Do a Voltage Drop test on battery
Check your starter. If you have a spare try that
No power to plugs, try your coil terminals on both of your powerpacks
No power at all on your coil terminals? Check the stator and flywheel magnets. These two things together are what provide power to your pack
Inspect your flywheel key too. If its sheared off that would also explain not getting power.
Doesnt hurt to check all your grounds and especially your battery cables to make sure you have strong solid connections everywhere.

Thank you, sounds like a good path to take, time to get out the manual and checking stuff.
Thanks Again
Joe

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did all kind of test and a the end it says replace power pack, now those of you who read the whole post know I replaced the power pack from my spare motor. Before I buy a power pack, besides the test I dd , how do you know you have a good power pack? I know its a dumb question but I got to ask it.
Thanks
Joe

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
There's no such thing as a bench test for a power pack in my manual. If you've thoroughly investI gated the other components, then I'd say spend the 115 bucks to replace it with a new one.

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
By thoroughly investigated.. I assume you checked and are getting proper readings on your stator wires and sensor coils coming from timer base and stator?

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a step by step test from the Johnson service manual, so I'll be putting a power pack on. I'll let you guys know how things turn out. Thanks for all your help.
Joe

joeyd50

Petty Officer 2nd Class
June 13 power pack came, I have spark but ran out time to get her running, having my knee replaced tomorrow, soon as I'm up I'll get this all back together.
Thanks Everyone
Joe