1971 evinrude 9.5 only starts with gas sprayed in carb

mercmotors8989

Recruit
So I recently picked up a 1971 evinrude 9.5hp outboard. Model 9122R The guy I bought it from said it didn't run. I started by doing a compression test with my compression gage, turned out good. It didn't have spark so I filed the points and readjusted them to .020". After that it has a good enough spark and will jump a 7/16 gap. I then tried to start it with no luck. So I move on and clean the carb. Still no luck. Then I checked my fuel pump, checked the screens and reassembled. Still no luck. Finally I decided the emty two can of carb cleaner while cleaning the carb, and I removed the Jets made sure to spray every hole in the carb. Still NO LUCK. So I then put 50:1 mix and put it straight in the carb throat. Then it starts! And dies shortly after.
I would think I have a fuel delivery problem. After spending so much time and cleaning the carb twice I guess I am just not sure where to go from here. Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Starboardlean

Seaman
Was in your boat( pun intended) a week ago. I had rebuilt the carb on 68 6hp evinrude. No start. I had put the float in upside down.Prime the bulb till firm. then try and drain your bowl. Mine was bone dry. If it is dry there is your answer.If you got fuel in the bowl, what goes on between there and the cylinder is out of my league.

mercmotors8989

Recruit
Thanks for the advice but I believe the float is in the right way because the bowl was full of fuel both times I cleaned the carb. Thank you

mercmotors8989

Recruit
Actually I'm not sure what I was thinking. Even if the bowl is full it could still mean that fuel is not getting to the cylinders. I know I put the float on the right way because I looked at diagrams online.

Maybe the float needs adjusted? I'm going to try it in a couple hours and see how it goes

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When you said you used 2 cans of carb cleaner, did you disassemble the carb and spray all the passages? Or just sprayed it around the venture, remove the idle needle, and the main jet thru the drain screw? How far out did you back the idle mixture screw? Are you using the choke?

mercmotors8989

Recruit
Yes I disassembled the carb completely both times.

I actually just got done adjusting the float and it was nowhere near level when the carb was turned upside down. Once the float was adjusted this outboard fired right up! It idles a little rough but I just have to make some fine tune adjustments. thanks everyone for the help