fuel pump J15RENM

tugboat80

Seaman
Sluggish running at low speed and sudden dying unless I were to pump the primer bulb led me to suspect fuel pump trouble. I attempted to rebuild pump using gasket set, but to fortune I was not able to flip my brain upside down to reinstall the many tiny springs and plungers. So, I ordered a new complete pump from Powersports Plus in Ga. It arrived in only 9 days time after spending time in the wrong PO western Wa. Care fully using new hose keepers and aligning hoses on the new pump ( the box says Evinrude Johnson Genuine Parts, BRP US Inc 0397839 ) so not to stress by torque, I installed with new pump to motor gasket. Well,it solved the running problem immediately, but the pump itself leaks like a sieve from the layers of gaskets of the pump, not the hoses. Question: Have I done something wrong? Is this the type of job which requires a 110$ per hour tech to perform? Motor is '92 Johnson 15 hp J15RENM.

AlTn

Commander
part no. for pump is correct..4 screws to that pump, 2 mount it to the block and 2 hold the "layers" together. Have you checked the "layer" screws for tightness? Did you have to remove the cover screw? If so, did you check that the gasket and screen were aligned to the pump body before tightening the cover screw?

tugboat80

Seaman
The two screws holding the layers together are very tight out of the box. I did not loosen them. I did not remove the screen cover, it is very snug, very. I tightened the mounting screws slowly, one then the other, like head bolts, with new gasket. I mounted, then ran, and discovered the leak. I could hold a dental mirror and a rechargeable spot light and see fuel dripping out of the layers, not the screen cover. I removed the pump and held it while squeezing the primer bulb and could see fuel leaking from two places between the layers, not surprised because the mounting screws were not in place holding. I did not tighten with vice grips because this pump must go back to supplier as defective. I checked the hose mountings and could find no cause. I remounted the pump as described and ran again, started first pull with no priming necessary, I put my finger under the pump while running and got fuel running out again. Not safe.

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
yeah, sounds defective right out of the box...nothing you did that I can tell would cause this

tugboat80

Seaman
Another reason everyone needs more than one boat/motor. This is August already, summer almost over.

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't like the oem pump so I bought a single outlet Mikuni pump. Installed a fitting, 1/4-20 thread into the block which is already threaded. Works like a charm without the drama. And no check valve springs. Very easy rebuild also if needed.

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
good solution....mind posting the part no. in the event someone reads this post and wants to do the same setup?

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I gots mine from Powersports last year. I have it in my favorites and will find the part number for the fitting also. Remember one has to subtract the pressure to open spring loaded valves in a fuel pump even from the primer bulb. And springs from anti drainback valves. They all add to total head.

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There is a story to those pumps...Late 70's, early 80's I used to take off those HD and HR carbs off the motors of snowmobiles like sacks, hearth and so on. They had there own pump on the carb. I hated them as they had no aireation circut on the low speed when fully flowing. The Mikuni slide valves were fully aireated. The sleds ran great with them but needed a pump. Those pumps are the ones I have used for many years, even my 4.5hp merc.

Last edited: