Introduction and Johnson CD-12 carburetor question

bthrel

Recruit
Hello All;

Brian here and the new owner of a hand me down 1955 Johnson CD-12 ( Dads old motor thats been sitting for years in the basement).

Been reading all the CD-12 posts and have just started going through it from the top down. After replacing the head gasket I get 70 psi in both the top and bottom cylinder, points, coils and wires look good so I next started to remove the carburetor ... thats where I caused myself a issue ( see link below).

Well, tried to upload a picture, but can't seem to as this may be a first post libation of the forum... anyway, when removing the 2 nuts that hold the carb on, part of the housing that the stud runs through on one side cracked off .. hard to explain with out a photo, but wondering of a little jbweld and a washer will be ok vs a new carb.

Thanks Brian

LINK to Photo of carburetor in question

https://goo.gl/photos/ahUXSCKqG6bR3XEaA

Last edited:

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
There doesn't appear to be any damage to the sealing surface, so you should be fine. Those old 5.5's are a great running motor once you get them dialed in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
One has to wonder how you managed to break that, but never mind, we don't need to know. ;) I agree, whatever you can do to hold it tightly ought to work. Main thing is you don't want it leaking air past the gasket.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
As stated, JB Weld it, put a washer on, then the nut to tighten down. Should be fine.

However, a replacement carb would NOT be very difficult to come by, I likely have dozens of them myself, as would many collectors in your area. Place a wanted ad at aomci.org in the classifieds, and someone near you should be able to help for the price of the tube of JB Weld. Just another thought.

bthrel

Recruit
Thanks all for the great advice, I will definitely run a ad looking for a replacement .. As far as how it broke, well.. I don't know if there was supposed to be a washer between the nut and the carb, but there wasn't.. It literally felt like the nut was welded to the carb, I could turn it a little at first.. I did a few days of penetrating oil, then some heat.. It felt like it was breaking loose then pop, off came the piece of the carb. Other side came off just fine. This thing is pretty crusty, have had to chase every threaded hole on the head, and replace the head bolts as well...probably experience more of the same when I start the lower rebuild.

Thanks again for helping a new member

Brian

bthrel

Recruit
P.S. HighTrim .. what would be the going price for one on the aomci.org board?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I imagine for 20 bucks or under you should be able to get a complete carb.

bthrel

Recruit
oldboat1,

Just was approved to post on the aomci.org in the classifieds... If I can source a replacement I will go that route, if not I will JB weld it and give it a shot. Either way I still need to order the rebuild kit for the carb I'm sure.

Trying to take my time so I don't make any more mistakes ..lol

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You will come up with something -- lots of stuff out there. (OK to make offers.) AOMCI rules require sellers to post contact info, and ask buyers to use the posted info (email address, typically). It's not good form to do "business" using club postings along with another source (like iBoats or others). Most don't cross the line, but some do.

AOMCI meets are flea markets for outboarders, and great fun -- lots of chatting and shuffling, with great finds and trades. iBoats is a great clearinghouse for new parts, including aftermarket items. You probably know that (good source for carb kits).