Motor only runs when choke is pulled out

I have a late 70s evinrude 25hp. Yesterday I cleaned/rebuilt my carb. When testing it out, my motor was running very rich and idling very fast. Today I took the carb back apart and tried adjusting the float. I cleaned it again for a second time. When test firing today I couldn't get the motor to stay running with out the choke all the way out. When I pushed it in the motor would bog down and die. Where should I go from here? Any suggestions of what else could be causing this?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Float may be installed upside down. In terms of adjustment, I almost always just eyeball it.

[ed. use the full kit -- float valve?]

Last edited:

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
put the float back the way it was then check the fuel delivery(pump).Does pumping the bulb keep it going.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the high speed jet circuit has some trash in it yet. May need to take the carb apart again. :sorry:

put the float back the way it was then check the fuel delivery(pump).Does pumping the bulb keep it going.
are you suggesting checking out the fuel pump? I haven't got a chance to look at my fuel filter yet, so I will probably clean that first before going to the fuel pump.

Sounds like the high speed jet circuit has some trash in it yet. May need to take the carb apart again. :sorry:
sounds frustrating pulling the carb off for the 3rd time. My carb is really simple and only has one jet. I have sprayed carb cleaner and used compressed air twice now. I have read that some people will run a small piece of wire through or sometimes leave it in solution for a couple hours. What would you recommend