Winter Rebuild?

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wanna work on my 1987 88 SPL in off season, is it hard to get back into tip top shape? carb rebuild maybe and what else? or should I put in shop, I'm looking for someone to help me (NJ) or should i save my money for newer? I'm happy with the performance of this engine though

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I have a 78 85hp and 87 90hp Johnsons, both I've resurrected from the grave. These are solid motors. I did carb rebuilds, coils and power packs, and waterpump on the 85. I removed the VRO and did carb rebuilds on the 90. I find these outboards really easy, and fun to work on. Freshening up the carbs is really straight forward on these guys. It really depends on what you are looking to accomplish and ability for what you want to do. Honestly these older Johnson 2 strokes are pretty bulletproof in my opinion.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
LindenLongRods, do you presently have any knowledge about engines, and OB engines specifically? If not, buy the factory specific shop manual for your engine. Not an aftermarket version but the engine model specific shop manual printed by the factory. It has everything you would ever want to know about your engine with lots of breakdowns and pictures and even theory. And then you can see things and make your decision to tackle them if you like. But most everything you are talking about doing is general maintenance and fairly easy to do. So if you have any mechanical abilities what so ever, don't be intimidated by those things and go for it and learn. I think you would enjoy doing such things. JMHO!