1974 70hp 70473-M Evinrude water pump questions

Slateroc24

Cadet
Got a 70hp from a friend. One of those"it ran 5 years ago" Free so. Anyway Little oil in the cylinders turned it over by hand few times. Did a compression test and all three are over 120PSI. Mixed up some fuel and stuck it in a tub and it did fire up and sounded okay. Here's where I need some help.

There doesn't seem to be a Tell Tale on this motor or if there is I don't know where. No water was coming out the two exhaust ports. I popped the thermostat and there was mud wasp nests inside behind the thermostat it's self. I took the thermostat out and tried it again and still no water came out the two exhaust ports. I didn't run it long. I had a hand held IR and only let the head temp get to 160 and shut it off. While I had the thermostat out I ran water backwards through the motor spraying in the thermostat housing and water started coming out of the lower unit from a small hole just above the water intakes.

Any help or thoughts on this. How can I tell if water is circulating. I never engaged the prop, does that matter on these older models?