1989 70 HP Evinrude knocking when in gear

Kenkuniff

Cadet
I have a 89 70 HP Evinrude that I have finally gotten fuel issue figured out on. Was out testing it and cruising around the lake. After maybe 10-15 minutes I started getting this terrible knocking sound and could see motor bouncing on knock and could feel it in steering wheel. Limped it back to dock. When I got home I put motor in forward gear and hand spun prop. After about 10-12 turns I felt prop slip. When left in that spot I marked prop and gear case. Tried to put motor in reverse and shifter didn't want to go. Moved prop a hair forward and went into reverse no problem. Moved it back about 1/2 a turn and went forward again. Went right past mark. Another 10-15 turns and it slipped again. Marks from first slip not lined up. Did this 5-6 times. Marks never lined up. Not sure if it would be the gears as marks are all over the place. Could shift linkage be off and shift rod going in and out of gear? Could clutch dog be bad? Checked oil and it didn't look cloudy. Did have some metal shavings on plug magnetic but I was told that is normal. No large chunks and I could rub them between my fingers and not get poked or feel larger pieces. This is a new boat and motor for me. Took it out 3 times before and it ran but with fuel issues. The guy I bought it from did say he just replaced the water pump. Heard that can cause similar issues with popping out of gear. But figures that would show up from the start. All help is appropriated for sure.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
you could check adjustment of shift cable but more likely you need to disassemble the lower and inspect the clutch dog.

Kenkuniff

Cadet
That is what I kind of figured as well. Guess I have a project on my hands now! Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Take a look at your gear oil, too. Any evidence of metal filings might indicate an issue with the gears. If the gears get a chunk of metal between them, they'll knock a bit.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
New-to-you rig, so just in case it's a simple misadjustment, might take the remote cables off at the motor, and make sure shift and throttle works properly at the motor, then adjust cables to the motor. Hard to tell what a PO tinkered with.

Kenkuniff

Cadet
Defiantly some very fine metal savings in oil, but nothing large. PO informed me that he had just changed the water pump so I know he had the lower unit off. Just wondering if possible for the shift rod or what ever it is called to me not installed correctly or anything like that?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
There is a shift rod height setting. Located in top secret sticky up top