Johnson 30hp 1986 2 stroke problem

blade57

Recruit
Hi All. This is my first post so hopefully I am posting in the correct place. I have a Johnson 30hp 2 stroke on my fishing boat that doesn't seem to want to pump water to cool the motor. I fitted a new water pump kit today, fitted my hose attached to my "headphones" and started her up. There is no water being ejected from Either the 2 vents at the top of the upper leg or the small hole on the underside of the engine casing (pee hole?).

Any help or advice will be gratefully received

Cheers

DaveD

Michawilden

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did it pump water before you changed the impeller or did you change the impeller because it did not pump? My first action would be to check the thermostat. You could have some crud inside the pee hole which prevent water from pissing out of there in combination with a stuck thermostat. Try removing the thermostat and check if water comes out of the blubber hole.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Was the motor actually overheating? Was there any water coming out of the propeller hub? That is where most water will exit. Running on muffs, very little, if any, water will exit via the exhaust relief holes - the motor needs back pressure to spritz water out those holes. Also, it's not uncommon for bugs to pack mud and muck into the telltale outlet. Blow back through it to make sure it's clear.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It can be very challenging to get the water tube back in the pump body whenninstalling the lower. Double check. I use a small piece of thin line around the tube that i can pull out oncebthe lower is in place. This helps me guide the tube into the pump body.