SALT SHAKER IN CARB

thatone123

Banned
I am asking this question here a I have found the most expert advice on the OMC forums and more interest in answering the questions. This question is for what happened on a non-OMC, but because of the nature of the question, I don't think it matters. On a 9.9 outboard 2004 with low hours and in almost new condition this happened to me. I could not start it after much testing of the electric system. I noticed eventually a lot of gas leaking out of the back of the carb near the block. I got it to start but soon died. Finally I took off the new looking carb. I have cracked lots of carbs and never have seen anything like this. The motor was used in fresh water to my knowledge, but inside the carb it looked like someone had literally dumped a shaker of salt in there. I am in the process now of cleaning it all out.. Anyone heard of such a weird circumstance before? The salt was moist and crystlized and stuck to everything inside the carb.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Mercs are known for that....

That's wild. Are you sure it's salt? If the motor was dunked, it could be silt (wouldn't change form, though). Let's see, could be debris from the tank or lines. And could be sabotage, or a curious or mischievous kid. (Sabotage used to be sugar in the tank.) Maybe it's somebody's crazy idea for an engine purge.

Is this a customer's motor? Any clue as to history?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Probably sat with annoverdose of some fuel additive. I have seen several like that over the years but not recently

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Water will do that to some carburetor metals. Used to see it a lot back in the "olden" days.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I replaced my very old looking in line fuel filter that's near my pump bulb with a new glass one. Just for fun, i cut the old solid plastic fuel filter in half. It had fine crystals that looked like salt. Boat has never been near salt water. I'll follow your Thread to see what others think the white salt looking crystals are :)

thatone123

Banned
Well, Anyway, I got it cleaned and scraped out and it ran fine after it cleared itself out. It is a Yamaha and I did not clean out the little fuel pump on the bottom of the carb and that is why it took a little bit to start. I guess. This is probably why I got a steal on the outboard. An additive makes the most sense I guess or sabotage also, though far fetched, but not much else makes sense. No, not a customer, but someone I traded another motor for. I hope I never see this again! it started first pull after the cleaning.

thatone123

Banned
No clue to the history. Water might be part of it, But I have seen old water in carbs and it is usually green gunk and corrosion of the metal.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Well, glad you have it up and running. Good thread -- still a good mystery.

(I was wrong about Mercs, btw. It's them Yammi's... :) )

Happy boating!