1956 Evinrude Lark 30hp no spark after idle/high speed valves rattled loose

NeilDaCosta

Cadet
Had the boat on the water the other day and both the low and high speed adjustment needles rattled loose. I tightened them on the water and got the motor running but it was real rough and died within a minute.

Pulled the carb off yesterday and realized the packing washers on both adjustments were blown out. Replaced those to according to the manual. And set the adjustments accordingly. Compression is good in both cylinders. I replaced the spark plugs to as they were pretty oily from the bad mixture they were getting.

My problem now is when I try to pull start it (I don't have the electric start hooked up), I don't get spark from either plug.

Any ideas of what the problem could be?

I don't know too much about the safety cut off, but did take the wire off of it and still no spark.

Going to start taking apart the top end this afternoon, but figured I would see if any one had an easy answer of something I am not thinking of.

Thanks!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
What's the history? Did you have the ignition apart, or not yet?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

ALL, that is, ALL 1956 Evinrudes have bad (cracked) coils unless they have already been replaced. If you have the old cracked ones you are wasting your time unless you replace them.

It is impossible for the vacuum cut-out switch to do anything on a non-running motor (no vacuum). That is NOT the problem.

Attachments

• photo237493.jpg
    photo237493.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

NeilDaCosta

Cadet
I pulled the flywheel off and things were a mess. The flywheel (woodruff) key had been breaking apart and metal was everywhere in there. I cleaned all the contacts(coils are new as of 2 years ago), checked the spacing of the points and now have to frustratingly wait until I find a new key to fit.

Bought some bigger ones at the local hardware store and can grind them down, but would like to find ones that fit in the first place.

Going to hit the boat junkyard tomorrow to see if they have any. Otherwise order on the internet and grudgingly take this heat wave from the shore. Or fix the electrical on the trailer of the other boat finally!!