1988 Johnson 8 HP Lower unit removal

w2much

Lieutenant
I removed the three long bolts from the l/u I think the shift shaft is one long shaft that slides up into its slot. I can not get the lower unit off. Thinking the drive shaft is frozen. I have it dropped about an inch or so but does not want to go any further. Do not want to bang it any more before asking. Am I missing a trick here . Have removed many a lower unit can not see anything which may be holding it up.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
You have all the connections done - only three bolts on those models. It is not uncommon for the driveshafts to freeze into the crankshafts on those models. Often necessary to pop the driveshaft out of the lower unit (with impeller drive pin coming through the pump housing) and then grabbing ahold of the driveshaft with something to yank it out - if you're lucky. Some have had success with various penetrating oil concoctions being dribbled down the driveshaft with the motor inverted. Never had luck with that method myself...

Last edited:

w2much

Lieutenant
That is where I am at.. DS stuck in crank, lu removed as you said. Will see what happens from here. Probably another parts motor
Thanks for your reply..

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I've gone as far as removing the powerhead, placing the driveshaft in a vice, and tapping the powerhead free with a heavy leather mallet. One issue once you get the driveshaft free is to check the splines on both the shaft and crank. The rust that locked them together may have also weakened the splines, or taken them out completely.

w2much

Lieutenant
Thanks again for your imput. Freinds motor, may try that if he wants. Otherwise another parts motor. What a shame it ran so darn good. That will learn him a lesson about proper storage of your shore boat motor.