1996 Johnson 48 2-stroke servicing

Hello to all, I am brand new boater and in need of some very basic information that I do not know. I have recently picked up my first boat which is a jon boat with a Johnson 48 2-stroke motor on it. I need to service it with oil. I have searched online but either find minimal information or a website that wants you to buy the manuel, which I have done, just have not received yet. My question is, what is the oil capacity for this motor, how much should I put in, and what type? We do not have many boat shops in my local area so I will be using Wal-Mart unfortunately, or local auto parts stores to procure my oil, so please keep that in mind. Thanks for the help.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
For one thing it's a 2 strk so the gas and oil need to be mixed at a 50-1. You need to use TCW-3 2 strk oil Wal-Mart has it. Does that motor have a VRO pump? I don't think it does but need to know that is important.

Again, being new. I understand that oil and gas need to be mixed, however there is no oil that goes straight into the motor? When I received the motor, my buddy said that I had a small oil leak coming from the lower foot, behind the prop. He ripped the prop off and found fishing line behind it and said that may have been the cause for my leak, and that I need to service the motor with oil because he didn't put any back in it. Which led me to the question of servicing. Is my buddy an idiot?

Can you give me some pointers on how I would know if it has a VRO pump?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You will need to pressure test the lower unit and probably replacenthe prop shaft seals.easy to do with proper tools.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Take a pic of the fuel pump usually they say on the hood and you are talking about gear lube. Do you have an external oil tank if not you don't have VRO and need to pre-mix the fuel. The lower unit needs 80w90 marine gear lube in it. I would check for water first because the exhaust from the natural operation of the motor will have oil dripping out by the prop especially on muffs. When you drain the lower unit take a look at the color of the lube see if it has water in it. Fishing string can wreck the seal but not always.

Last edited: