Melted Stator?

Kruegs35

Seaman
I suspect I have a bad stator and I removed the flywheel to inspect it more closely. I did not realize that my stator is completely encapsulated, so it does not look like the pics I have seen online where you can see the wire coils. I see some hardened runs. Is it the stator melting inside and running out?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is normal they will leak and melt when they go bad. That is the factory stator the aftermarket ones have open coils so they run cooler that is what I was told.

Kruegs35

Seaman
flyingscott, so mine is showing that it is going bad? Just want to confirm, before I order a new one.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The reason stators melt is the regulator/rectifier is usually bad...this causes stator to overheat and encapsulation to melt.Replacing is treating the symptom and not the cause.....

Kruegs35

Seaman
My tach is working and my voltage while the engine is running is around 14v. However, I am now checking the resistance of the rectifier and I am not sure what the readings mean. Resistance between all of the wires and the red wire in one direction is in the hundreds of ohms. The other direction I can get a reading if I scale up to my 2000k Ohms range, so around 400 - 500k. When I check resistance between the body of the rectifier and the wires, I get readings of 100K+ both directions. These are really high readings, so that is why I cannot make sense of it. I found this method of testing online, but they had the cylindrical style rectifier and mine is rectangular with the cooling fins, so I don't know if the same testing is applicable.