94 60hp won't start or tilt

imods

Cadet
I have a 94 60hp Johnson (J60TLERS) that has ran fine all summer. Went fishing yesterday and drove around for 20 minutes or so, switched to the minn kota trolled for 15 minutes. Decided to go across the lake, turned the key, nothing, not even a click. Tried several things and finally got it running by doing a few different things:

Bypassing the stater solenoid (I think that's what it is) by removing the positive wire that comes from the battery and connecting it directly to the starter. This would get it to crank, but it would not turn over.

I then remove the air filter and sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs and it would start.

But when I killed it and try to start it again I had to do the same thing over. So I got it running and headed back for the ramp and decided to call it a day. When I got back to the ramp and trailer and boat, I can erase the motor up because for some reason the tilt/trim is dead as well. Neither the switch on the throttle switch on the motor work. They don't even try to work or make a noise it is as if there is no power. I have a fully charge starter battery of the motor is connected to a fully charged accessory battery for the trolling motor, lights, horn, and fish finder.

I've looked to see if there any fuses that may have blown but I can't see any and I am at a loss. I've done a little research and I'm going to start testing things like the starter solenoid and the primer solenoid today. I figured I would check to see if anybody has experienced the same problems or has any ideas for me.

Thanks!

Jerad

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Check fuse in engine side harness. Make sure your grounds are tight, a wing nut is NOT tight.

imods

Cadet
I looked around for a fuse initially but couldn't see one. Turns out someone before me zip tied it in a mess of wires wrapped it in electrical tape. Found it. Definitely blown. It was soldered to the inline fuse harness on both ends so that was odd. I put a 30amp bus fuse in and it blew immediately. Apparently I need a bigger fuse? Or do I have more issues?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You have more issues find the short in the harness. I believe you have a 20 amp fuse you never go bigger than what is recomended.

imods

Cadet
I looked all the wires over real good and they all looked fine except for the one going from the fuse to the starter solenoid. The fuse and fuse holder were corroded together. I cut it out and got a new in-line fuse holder and pack of 20a fuses. As soon as I hooked the battery up it blew the fuse again. Any suggestions on how to find the short? I have a multimeter but I have very little knowledge on how to use it. I have been watching videos and reading forums but have not found anything I'm comfortable doing. I don't want to start taking the motor apart and make it worse! The key still does NOTHING and the tilt/trim buttons on the controller and the motor do NOTHING either. I appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Somewhere you have 12v going to ground. Disconnect battery. Start isolating power circuits and check forncontinuity to ground. This can be challengingnand frustrating.

imods

Cadet
Update:

I found a few wires that were cracked, worn, and melted so they were repaired and are good to go now. Still not getting any power. If I bypass the starter solenoid and put the power directly to the starter it fires up. I thought maybe the short was in the solenoid so I got a new one and put it in with high hopes. As soon as I connected the battery the fuse blew again. SO it wasn't the solenoid. All the wires LOOK decent but I'm still digging trying to find the short.

Would the 12v to ground cause the the fuse to blow and the tilt/trim to stop working? Is there another fuse somewhere?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Do you have two batteries in the boat? Make sure they are not wired in series. This would put 24v to your motor.

imods

Cadet
Do you have two batteries in the boat? Make sure they are not wired in series. This would put 24v to your motor.

The batteries are separate. One starter and one deep cycle for accessories. I found the short. You weren't kidding about it being challenging and frustrating! It was hidden in the housing carrying the wires from the remote to the motor. Thanks for all your help. Tomorrow I'm going to clean the carbs because it only fires up when I spray carb cleaner into the each of the 3 carbs. Saturday I'm getting out on the water! 100 degrees of dry heat here in Boise, ID.