1979 leaking water

SniperBass

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1993 Nitro with a 1979 Johnson 140 Model number140943R Serial number J0001699. The motor was supposed to be a 1993 Johnson 115, the seller lied and I didn't find out until I googled the model number. The motor runs great I even had a mechanic check it out and he said he didn't see or hear any issues. I started it back up today with no issue but noticed that water sprays out of a few spots where the crank case meets the upper unit. Is this going to be a major issue? Is it safe to run or is the a risk of doing serious damage?

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well a 1979 140 and a 1993 115 crossflow are pretty close to being the same thing. No decals on the cowl? Does the bill of sale say 1993 140, with the serial number on it? If it does you can go after the seller for fraud/misrepresentation. Are your water leaks inside the cowl or outside? The mechanic didn't see the water spraying out?

SniperBass

Cadet
It says Johnson 115 "Pro Series" oil injected, and from what I have seen online it looks like a 1993 but on the mount the numbers match that of a 1979. The bill of sale and title say 115 and the serial numbers on the motor don't match. He purchased it from a charity auction (Wheels for wishes). It leaks at the bottom of the motor which would normally be under water. The mechanic didn't notice and I barely noticed myself except I was kneeling down and had my face next to it.

SniperBass

Cadet
It seems it would be a seal that needs to be replaced, I am just wondering if it is a significant issue or one I can wait on.

Last edited:

SniperBass

Cadet
Here are a few pictures, of the decals (which match the 1993 model), the model/serial numbers (which match the 1979 model), and where the leak is coming from.

Attachments

• Decals.jpg
    Decals.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Serial number plaque.jpg
    Serial number plaque.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Ok the leak you are worried about, is along the seam where the gearcase joins the midsection? If so, don't lose too much if any sleep over it. Water is expected to exit in that vicinity, there actually six holes on each side of case just above the anti-ventilation plate.
As to what year, I was looking in the 1993 brochure, I could not find a cowl that looked like yours. When the cowl is off, does the engine have the VRO pump? Also on the top of the block near one of the cylinder heads there should be what looks like a core with numbers stamped in it. If it is there what are the numbers?
Maybe a pic or two of the engine without the cowl

It is possible that a 1979 transom bracket was installed on a 1993 engine.

Last edited:

SniperBass

Cadet
The numbers on top of the block match the ones on the transom, which means it is a 1979 140 but the cowl says 115.

SniperBass

Cadet
So as it turns out, The max suggested HP is 120, which explains why they dressed the 140 into looking like a 115. Is this an issue? Do you know where I can find information on how to maintain the motor, fuel/oil ratio, and any other pertinent information?