1996 Glastron GS160 - 115 Evinrude - Water getting into fuel.

SkubaSteeve

Recruit
We have recently discovered that our boat is running very poorly, the suspect is that water is getting into the fuel. Is it possible to check our tank? I have no idea how to get to the tank to verify. there was a very large rain, and the boat took on quite a bit of water.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
First pull.a fuel sample from the connection at the cowl into a cleat container. Is there water?

If so, and you have an inboard tank you will have to unscrew that center section of floor. Take out the fuel level sending unit and figure out a way to pump from the bottom of rthe tank.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I would think you don't need to pull the tank. Anytime you siphon fuel from the pickup in the fuel tank, you are going to pull fuel from the bottom of the tank. That's where the water would be if you have any in the tank. Just squeeze the hose bulb and catch a pint of fuel that's pumped out. Also, keep in mind it's possible you may have some water in the oil tank. That will get sucked up into the engine just as easily as if there is water in the fuel tank, so check it too.

SkubaSteeve

Recruit
If we do the checking and we do find that there is water in the tank, it is definitely a recurring issue and would need to rectify. Is there any suggestions of places where to look where water might get in?

How does one remove the floor to get access to the tank?

I really appreciate the responses.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
There are screws hidden in the carpet. The section of floor between the seats will lift out.

Water could be getting in through vent or fill tubes or you could have a cracked tank or just useing bad gas.

Dont borrow trouble though, test the fuel first.

The tank may not be under the floor, sometimes on the old glastrobs they are under the rear deck off to one side. Or up in the bow.

Last edited: