Motor submerged in water

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After all my problems with the motor and finally getting it running well Sunday. Had an unfortunate accident. Thankfully no one was injured, only feelings. My boat basically sunk. The motor completely submerged. 1978 70 HP evinrude.
Its back on trailer and at home now. I removed plugs, removed drains for carb bowls and flushed with fresh gas. Have it air drying. Have not tried to fire it up, but it will spin over. Any thoughts on what all I need to do to hopefully save the motor?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
You should pull the carbs/reeds and spray inside the crankcase with fogging oil. Displace water and get it out.
(if it was running look for signs of water causing bent/cracked rod(s))

Then drain and blow the carbs out to dry them.

Ensure all the electric stuff is as dry as possible.

Reassemble and get it running ASAP. The best thing you can do for it is get it up to normal operating temperature for a half hour or more.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That should have been done Sunday.
Myself I would have removed the spark plugs, sprayed engine tuner(it is a great water dispersant) in. Rotate engine by hand feeling for binding or scraping noise(bent rods and grit). Generously spray the tuner into the carbs while cranking the engine. It will be dumping this stuff out the spark plug hole. Then spray a mix of gas and oil the same way. Check for spark, if none then the flywheel need to come off and the ignition parts dried. If it has spark, replace the plugs, fill the carbs with fresh gas and start it, Probably won't need choking. Run it under load for at least 1 hour, preferably longer. The bearings are most at risk. it has to get hot enough to evaporate any remaining water. The lower crankshaft bearing is the one that has the hardest time shedding water. Starter will need to be cleaned and lubed too.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You may waited too long already, but get it running as fast as you can.

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That should have been done Sunday.
Myself I would have removed the spark plugs, sprayed engine tuner(it is a great water dispersant) in. Rotate engine by hand feeling for binding or scraping noise(bent rods and grit). Generously spray the tuner into the carbs while cranking the engine. It will be dumping this stuff out the spark plug hole. Then spray a mix of gas and oil the same way. Check for spark, if none then the flywheel need to come off and the ignition parts dried. If it has spark, replace the plugs, fill the carbs with fresh gas and start it, Probably won't need choking. Run it under load for at least 1 hour, preferably longer. The bearings are most at risk. it has to get hot enough to evaporate any remaining water. The lower crankshaft bearing is the one that has the hardest time shedding water. Starter will need to be cleaned and lubed too.

I did all that but start it. Was afraid of shorting electrical out if it was still wet. Engine turns freely. I may be able to start it after I get off work today

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update. Hooked up 2 gallon tank with 7 ozs of oil ( figured it needed some extra lubrication) and half bottle of Seafoam. I started the motor with no issues.Sounded good, no rattles or skips. On a hose. Not able to put in water till this weekend. Once started and warmed I used the Seafoam deep creep liberally in each carb and ran it till it bogged down. switched off for about 15 minutes and restarted and let run for about 15 minutes. Sprayed more deep creep till she bogged down and shut it off. I plan to go home tonight and restart engine and let it run for another 30 minutes or so on the hose and repeat the process. Hopefully the water will be gone. Due to work just unable to put in water and run it! Just need to get it lubed till Sunday morning!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Maybe you will luck out, I would have ran it in a tank under load for a couple of hours

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, far engine is running good.(KNOCK ON WOOD) Have taken it out several times with no issues other than starter. I did drain water from starter, but I believe a new one is in order.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
randy, great it is running and sounds like it is doing well. You never did offer the back story to how you sunk the boat though. And chance to post that story? :noidea:

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
There used to be an OLD boating saying about engines, 'If it sinks, get it out and start it right away, if not throw it back in the water". We had one boat sink due to a kid not knowing how to put a boat in the water off a lift, we got it onto the shore , removed the motor, put a 45 gallon drum in the back of a truck and filled it with lake water and put the motor in the drum upside down, drove 250 miles to a repair shop. When we got to the shop the mechanic said putting it in water was the best thing we could have done. It won't rust any where near as fast if it's left in the water.

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In short, the boat sits very low in water as it is. Its only 13' long with a 70hp hung on back. Had the back of boat loaded with chairs, coolers, etc so could not see that water was coming in. Had been on water most of day. We stopped at a sand bar, and stayed for a while.The bilge line came loose at some point during the day and water was coming in through it. Once it got below that hole on side of boat and the water covered the bottom of hose it was a constant flow, started a siphon.. Then when we took off, barely on plane, the boat was low enough then for water to come through the 3-4" hole where controls and steering lines come out. Once I looked back and noticed all the water, tried to floor it to bank To much water had come in and that just made problem worse, it was to late to do anything further. So it was abandon ship!!!! Within 20 seconds it was under water.
Now, I have siliconed bilge hole on side of boat and so far it stays dry. Was just one of those freak accidents that happens, that will probably never happen again.