1986 Johnson 90 vro - carbs stuck wide open?

Trerise

Cadet
I've had issues with my old Johnson 90 vro getting stuck with the carbs/throttle wide open at startup when all controls were set at low idle. I thought it was my control cables, but they move smoothly when disconnected. Reconnected them, and the problem seemed to stop, but I didnt pay much attention to all the linkage.

Motor has been ok for a couple outings but I was fiddling with the throttle and carb linkage again today and some how the carbs look like they are stuck open now. Is there a trick to getting it to flip back to its original position?

I don't have a manual. So far just relying on YouTube and Google.

Any good options for getting a repair manual online?

Last edited:

Trerise

Cadet
Hoping it's an easy fix. I really didn't do much other than flip the carbs open a couple times with my fingers, and let the spring bring them back to closed. The last time they came back, they stopped short of the rocker...so now there's no connection between the throttle controls and the carbs. I suspect when I sport to start it, the engine will immediately hit max rpm. Will test tomorrow but not excited about the result.

Trerise

Cadet
No Title

Here's a pic of what it looks like now, and what it should look like if the rocker is touching the carb linkage.

(By the way, I'm not 100% sure on the names of all the parts)

Attachments

• photo249009.jpg
    photo249009.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249010.JPG
    photo249010.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 0

Trerise

Cadet
No Title

a couple more pics

Attachments

• photo249109.JPG
    photo249109.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249110.JPG
    photo249110.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249111.JPG
    photo249111.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 0

Trerise

Cadet
Since it's stuck running near wide open - is it worth running sea foam or will I be doing too much damage at WOT in neutral?

Will a carb spray of some kind free this up?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
The carb butterflies are spring loaded and should snap closed. It's apparent that something is seized or binding preventing closure. Assuming nothing is interfering with the linkage on the outside of the carbs, I think you need to take them off for a closer inspection and diagnosis.
Also, you can disconnect the long rod that links the 2 carbs together to see if both carbs are affected or just one.

Trerise

Cadet
Thanks, I'll try to disconnect the long rod that links the carbs together.

I'm a bit scared to take the carbs off since I do not have a manual, and I'm not familiar with where I'd start. Might have to consult the google, or more likely a mechanic...

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you don't feel confident enough to do it than it's better left to someone who is. I assume the carbs have never been serviced since you've owned the motor? If this is the case, I would definitely have them removed and thoroughly cleaned i.e. taken completely apart so all jets and passage ways are squeaky clean. 1 clogged jet can ruin a motor in short order.

Trerise

Cadet
No Title

For sure, it's on the list.

I disconnected the carb rod and the top snapped shut, so problem is in the lower? Consulting a mechanic soon, and getting the service manual. Any advice on a good place to get the manual online?

Attachments

• photo249193.JPG
    photo249193.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249194.JPG
    photo249194.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 0

Trerise

Cadet
No Title

Well I went for it - pulled off the cover and peeked into the carbs. Found a F-ing bolt jammed in the lower left one. WFT moment for sure. Taking a test run tomorrow, but what a relief. Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Now how to I post pics that arent all upside down or sideways?

Thank you to everyone that posted! Looking forward to the next adventure, and getting the manual!

Attachments

• photo249212.JPG
    photo249212.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249213.JPG
    photo249213.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: