1998 johnson spl 115 issue

das fisch

Seaman Apprentice
The family and I went up to the lake this morning, about 5 minutes into our headway speed out from the launch the water temp alarm sounded and then promptly shut off. After we reached the end of the no wake zone I pushed the throttle up to a good cruising speed. A few minutes later the water temp light now came on and then soon after the motor slowly died. Did not completely stall out right away but throttled down on its own and then died.

Would not restart, almost like a safety switch was thrown, wouldn't even turn over. So we anchored up, called our friends who were now all the way up the lake and swam ad fished for a few hours with the cowl off to help cool the motor. After a few hours I went to start the motor, it would only start with a high throttle level, and would die if lower or on idle.

Currently charging the battery again, is brand new. Just purchased the motor. Is pumping water, get a good stream while running. No visible steam. Not sure if it's a thermostat issue, or whatever.

Very frustrated with the seller at this point but not sure what I can do from that end yet.

das fisch

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, mixed 50:1, compression seems ok with the finger test thus far (don't have a tester handy), flywheel spins freely. Did hook up to muffs tonight, good pee stream, the cylinder banks are getting very hot, had a water temp light after a few minutes on the muffs. Disconnected the two black tubes that I believe come from the thermostat housing to the cylinder banks, steam coming out from them but not wet at all. Stuck thermoatats?

Fed

Commander
Disconnected the two black tubes that I believe come from the thermostat housing to the cylinder banks
Sounds like an older model.

Model Number?

Fed

Commander
The direction of water flow is from the heads to the thermostats below so it won't be blocked thermostats, when you disconnect those two black hoses a ton of water should flow out of the heads.

Good muffs? Good water pressure? They use a lot of water & running with the tap fully open is fine.
I see you said the pee stream is strong but it's only an indicator that you have water pressure at the start of the system.

From everything you've said I'd suggest compression testing to make sure you're not going to spend time & money on a dead horse.

If compression is good then find out why it's not letting water flow through the block.
Water pump, water deflectors, blocked up head covers.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
the water temp light now came on and then soon after the motor slowly died. Did not completely stall out right away but throttled down on its own and then died. Would not restart, almost like a safety switch was thrown, wouldn't even turn over
This is because pistons was seized to cylinder walls ....the damage is done.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Probably sheared the water pump impeller. Running the engine after the 'hot' light came on pretty much guaranteed scuffing and scoring. The 'slowly dying' engine is proof of that. if the impeller had pieces brake off, they may have plugged up the water supply pipe. Odds are, you have a new 99.6 cubic inch anchor.

Last edited:

das fisch

Seaman Apprentice
So the numbers are in from the compression test:

First test. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Second test

95 (left top) ? ? ? ? ? ? ?92 (left top)

105 (left bottom) ? ? 105 (left bottom)

22 (right top) ? ? ? ? ? ?25 (right top)

75 (right bottom) ? ? 72 (right bottom)

Looks like the right bank is shot.
This motor is clean, new trim motor, etc. I have a guy locally who rebuilds motors, he is going to look at it later today.
If he says he can rebuild the cylinders, clear all water passages, new pump, etc like he does with the others would you guys do it? Paid $2500 in a private sale for the motor, this was the first run on the water. The seller is willing to work based on his mechanics feedback, so we'll see how that goes