Evinrude 40973R - A New Project for a New Boater

Hello! Thanks for having me to your forum. Doing some research on my new project led me here, and I've learned a lot already - but I am hopign to get baby'd through some troubles with this new project of mine.

I bought a ~17' fiberglass boat with an Evinrude 40973R outboard. First, I would like to verify this is a 1969 engine, for future research. Best way to verify engine year?

Next, I'm looking for a reliable wiring diagram. I have come across this one here (and several others) - http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/67_68_40HP.jpg - but I'd like to see if someone could verify this is the proper diagram. It reads 67-68 so I'm a little unsure if I can rely on it 100%. I've played the "oh that wiring diagram is close enough" game one too many times, so I really want to make sure I've got the right diagram before I go too far. It does seem to agree pretty well with whats on the boat, except maybe some colors here and there.

About me - I have plenty of familiarity repairing and restoring small engines - except until now, specifically in the moped, motorcycle, and automotive fields. Outboards are a little new to me, and although many of the systems on this big two stroke are similar to what I'm used to, some are not, and I could use your help to check my work and assumptions as I go. Read: I'm not a complete dummy, but I know very little about boats.

Being a *cough* scrapyard *cough* purchase, first problem is NO KEY. Well, im my experience, generally no problem. I've hotwired (not stolen) plenty of small engines. I got a good battery in this thing, and got it to crank right over - simply applied 12VDC to starter relay/solenoid. However, no spark. Removed the flywheel, serviced the points (they were that classic crummy green), and zap zap zap solid spark all day. I understand that if the two black leads at the ignition switch are NOT connected, I will have spark. If you connect them, you kill spark. Correct?

Having restored spark to the engine, the next thing to do, of course, was try to fire this old thing up, right? Or at least hear it stutter on starting fluid. I put 10 gal 93 test gasoline in a 15 gal tank, very clean, and pumped it up to the engine. This whole hand-pump thing is foreign to me but I did get it to work. Granted, I think if I pumped too much, gasoline poured right out the air intake side of the carb thru some sort of overflow. Normal?

With a couple shots of starting fluid and some 2T oil right into the jugs, and the engine in a trash-can full of water, I juiced the solenoid, and after some cranking, with some throttle and full choke and she did cough up in the way you expect an old engine that hasnt run in 10+ years to start. So i did not hold a sustained idle or running condition, but she did seem to fart along ok enough for me to believe the engine is sound enough, for now. I wont be surprised if I need to pull the carb and give it a service, but... if it aint broke dont fix it. No reason to suspect is broke just yet.

I did not go too much further, because I do believe the engine was in gear! When she coughed up and ran a bit, it sloshed the hell out of my water bucket so I shut her down. So next I need to investigate this seemingly over-complicated "Selectric" shift mechanism... but maybe that is for another post further down the line.

Well, thank you for reading, I hope some of you can help me out here along the way. Once I get some of these preliminaries out of the way, I have some questions about the safety switch, cut-out switch, and of course, the SELECTRIC shifter. Thanks!
-Steve

kbait

Commander
(From above)
Having restored spark to the engine, the next thing to do, of course, was try to fire this old thing up, right? Or at least hear it stutter on starting fluid. I put 10 gal 93 test gasoline in a 15 gal tank, very clean, and pumped it up to the engine

Any oil mixed with the fuel? Should be 50/1

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Two black wires are kill wires, and yes connecting them together stops the engine.

If you really stand on the primer bulb, you may overpower the float valve in the carburetor. Otherwise, fuel should not pour out the front.

It should not be in gear unless power is applied to one of the clutch coils in the lower unit. NEVER apply power to both at the same time while running. That will bust something.

Here is the wiring diagram

Attachments

• photo234594.jpg
    photo234594.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 0
Ok, great, so it is a 1969 Evinrude 40HP two-stroke engine. I did, of course, add enough oil for a 50:1 mixture.

Thank you F_R! That does look very much like the wiring harness on the boat. So a couple questions about electrical system functionality:

-Is there a pinout for the ignition switch? I'm assuming when you turn to "ON" position, it supplies +12VDC to the terminal marked A. To crank engine over, you supply +12VDC momentarily to the terminal marked S? In off, it connects black to black (M to M). Can anyone verify?

-Regarding the SELECTRIC shift being in forward... not to second guess, but looking around I did find a post here http://www.midwestsportsman.net/forum/topic/8373-72-evinrude-selectric-trouble/?page=1 that indicates the following: [FONT=&quot]>neutral = power to green wire[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]>reverse = power to green and blue[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]>forward = no power to either[/FONT]
Not to second guess, but is there a wiring diagram available for the SELECTRIC shifter specifically? That description does align with what I'm seeing here... because I have not supplied +12VDC to the PURPLE power supply lead to shifter, it would default be in forward. I should be able to verify this with a pinout/wiring diagram of JUST the selectric shifter. Seems like I would be safest to get a proper wiring diagram and figure it out that way.

Next, I have some questions about the safety switch and cut-out switch. Basically, what are their functions? It appears that the vacuum cut-out switch would ground the points, thereby shutting off the engine, in some event of vacuum pressure? And the safety switch... appears to have to do with throttle. Seems like that switch would prevent me from using the starter solenoid if it is in one position or the other... only one wire leads to it... must be self-grounding switch? Makes/breaks connection of WHITE wire to ground...?

The next mission is definitely figure out SELECTRIC to see if I can get into neutral, F, and R, then make sure I have these safety switches working right...

Thanks! Stick with me here!
-Steve

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
The safety switch is for not starting with too high of throttle. And the cut out switch kills spark to one cylinder if your motor is in a runaway condition. Runaway being if the rpms reach an elevated level.

Last edited:
Ok, interesting, thank you! I may bypass the safety switch as I try to get the engine running. I generally like to go full choke and about 1/3-1/2 throttle to get the juices flowing when I restore an old engine. I'll check functionality of the cut out switch, and if it works, I dont see any problem leaving that right on there.

So, the next big electrical ? is .... wiring diagram for SELECTRIC shift mechanism? I can always pull it off and spend some quality time with a multimeter to figure out what does what...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On your motor 12 volts is applied to green for forward.---And 12 volts is applied to blue for reverse.---No voltage for nuetral.------These electric shift units are confusing to some folks.--I have no idea why other than electrical things are always confusing to a novice.

Hey, so I got the wiring up front all sorted out - have a few switches to supply power, switch ignition on/off, electric start, etc. Now I can run all the controls from up front, which makes it way easier to try to start (instead of jumping the thing with cables at the rear). And, with little effort, the engine does fire up and hold an idle. Doesnt seem to want to open up, though, so i may have to take a look at the main jet circuit. Also, while the engine is running, it does deliver spurt after spurt of fuel from the overflow at the front of the carb. Its not a constant leak, it more so just pumps spurts gas out every couple seconds. Is this a float height issue? Either way, looks like I'm pulling the carb. Was kinda hoping I'd get away without...
-Steve

I got the carb off - not as much of a pain as it looked. Was actually in ok shape in there, some muck but not too bad. Gave it a good cleaning and blast thru with compressed air. I tested the float, it did appear to float quite nicely. Laid flat across a bowl of gasoline I put it in. Needle looked functional, seat ok. I did not make any adjustments to float height.

Put it all back together and the engine still fires right back up, and does respond to throttle now. Alas, it is still dumping gasoline right out of the overflow. Makes it hard to get a good read on how well the engine runs, because it almost immediately over-enriches itself by sucking liquid fuel right into the air intake. Sort of a French inhale if you will.

I ordered a new float, needle, hinge, and valve seat to replace down the line.. just in case... but it seems strange that these things aren't functioning.