1992 Evinrude 60hp power tilt/trim problem now.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1992 60hp Evinrude power tilt/trim will raise the motor up but will not lower the motor,this just happened yesterday . It does not work with the switch that's mounted on the side of the motor to lower the motor or the throttle mounted switch. Like I said it raise's motor just fine with both throttle mount switch and the motor side mount switch. In order to lower it at the ramp yesterday I had to use a screwdriver and turn the manual release screw on the side of the motor to let it down. I had my drivers seat rotated around while fishing and kept accidently leaning against the throttle mounted switch through out the day, could this have burn up the lower down side of both switches or what ?

Thanks for any info

Tony

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Rear starboard side of motor are two relays. Place your finger on each. Press down button. Do you feel a click? If so replace relays.

Part number standard auto electric 116ay or ry cant remember but much less expensive than brp.

If no click ohm wireimg and switch. Grn to red for down. Blu to red for up.

Ryan28574

Cadet
yeah man the down side of the button has quit working its a pretty common problem you can either buy another handle you can not buy the button individually. You can also buy a Momentary switch for it and mount it on your console just take your power and green and blue wires to it. its actually the cheaper route.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your engine has two relays in the trim box, inside the cowling. One relay controls the "up" the other controls the "down". These do fail on occasion and are not expensive. Suggest you remove the cover from the box and swap the identical relays with each other. Hopefully, now your trim will go down, but not up. I prefer replacing the trim relays in pairs, keeping the old (good) one as a spare. (If one failed, odds are the other will fail in the future-so keep it as an emergency spare.) Run with the two new ones...

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys for the info, I just go home from my shop where the boat is stored, I was noticing a click sound when I would push the down button,and sure enough as jakedaawg said I touched each relay with my finger and they both click, I suspected them maybe being the problem. I"ll try and get some new relay's tomorrow, thank you all for you suggestions

Tony

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
yeah man the down side of the button has quit working its a pretty common problem you can either buy another handle you can not buy the button individually. You can also buy a Momentary switch for it and mount it on your console just take your power and green and blue wires to it. its actually the cheaper route.

Usually when both trim switches quit working its a relay. Not the switch.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tilt/trim working like a champ now, the relay was the problem again thanks for the information.

Tony