1997 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro primer solenoid

festerized

Cadet
Primer solenoid is not pushing fuel with red lever in run position (down) but will push fuel in the service/manual prime position (up)
I replaced the fuel pump & vacuum switch in the spring, so I was thinking it?s the primer solenoid or wiring but after performing some test I think I may have air in the system from a cracked hose or just a bad design?

Could it be my solenoid doesn?t haven?t have enough fuel pressure to prime? Or am I getting air? Crazy how manually priming works great but not with solenoid

I performed a bench test on both old & new primer solenoids, both had same results, no fuel flow, I used a clear line so I could see if fuel was trying to flow and nothing, I filled the line with fuel thinking it was getting air and no fuel flow. Is there a chance I bought a bum primer or I burnt it out already? Can?t see it burning it out already, it?s only been on the boat a month or so.

Before I realized the primer solenoid was the problem I performed several test, seems like everyone I talk that has this engine has this issue so im posting my troubleshooting

1. Purple & white wire at key in run & start position 12V
2. Purple & white wire @ solenoid 12V
3. OHMs check on both old & new primer, 6.5
4. Fuel flow with Red lever in up position
5. No fuel flow in down position

Maintenance
1. Fuel lines and ball replaced last spring but I didn?t rule out cracked lines
2. VRO pump this spring
3. Vacuum switch, wire pulled out from unit so I replaced it
4. Primer solenoid this spring

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The solenoid is a simple only a open/ close valve. The pressure is generated by the primer bulb. Make sure the primer bulb is firm prior to hitting the solenoid.

Do you hear the solenoid click when you push the key switch in?

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
So, if you remove one of the little hoses from solenoid and crank engine you see fuel coming out w/ lever in maual but not when in service mode? Are you holding the key in while cranking? Do you hear an audible click when you push in on the key with it in the run position?

festerized

Cadet
Yes I hear it click but not continual clicking, however when I bench tested the primer I could feel it pumping but no fuel flow

The bench test showed me that the new primer solenoid is either defective or its just a bad design. The pump didn?t have enough power to suck the fuel from a dry or primed line unless the system requires to be pressurized which would mean my bench test was completed wrong

Is there an aftermarket primer I could use? Or pump from another motor that I could adapt?

festerized

Cadet
No Title

This pic is one of the test I performed
I disconnected the red lead to the starting to prevent starting
Connected spare fuel line to one of the two carb outlet nipples located on back of primer to bottle
Push chock in both run and start position, no fuel
Flipped red lever up to service position, pumped inline ball and I get plenty of fuel

Attachments

• photo248608.jpg
    photo248608.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Okay, the primer is a valve not a pump. It simply allows fuel to flow when energized. It relies on the engines fuel pump to spit fuel, or the bulb when red.lever is flipped or when key is also depressed.

Sounds like you have a bad valve assembly or improperly assembled valve. The cap comes off these. Inspect parts compared to the parts breakdown at brp.

Or it sounds like you have no fuel pressure. Take the in line off the primer. Crank engine. Do you have fuel spitting out?

festerized

Cadet
Okay, the primer is a valve not a pump. It simply allows fuel to flow when energized. It relies on the engines fuel pump to spit fuel, or the bulb when red.lever is flipped or when key is also depressed.

Sounds like you have a bad valve assembly or improperly assembled valve. The cap comes off these. Inspect parts compared to the parts breakdown at brp.

Or it sounds like you have no fuel pressure. Take the in line off the primer. Crank engine. Do you have fuel spitting out?

Are you sure? When I bench test its vibrating indicting it?s a pump but I could be wrong, I bench tested the primer solenoid with red lever up and down position. I understand when the lever is up it bypasses the primer to allow free flow of fuel

I will do so but both new and old pump are both testing the same so I can?t see that being the problem but you never know!

Good question! The primer gets its fuel supply from the same line from the fuel pump so if the red valve is up and is getting fuel so should it when in down position.

Last edited:

festerized

Cadet

You got me thinking but im not sure you?re correct?
If the primer solenoid is just and opening valve then there must be a pump to push the fuel through the primer and up to the carbs?

festerized

Cadet
No Title

Here?s a representation of the bench test on primer solenoid
Simple pig tails to a battery and fuel from gas can
Stupid me just broke the supply nipple so there?s 130. Bucks down the drain
Performing the test the solenoid spit a few times but no fuel flow.

Attachments

• photo248613.jpg
    photo248613.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The supply needle is part of the cap. You can buy that seperately.

As far as whether i am right about it being a pump or valve...i have many years being paid to work on boats. Many many omc and brp schools and certs. Business owner. Former dealer tech and part owner. And if that doesnt do it for you just make a post and ask if primer solenoid is a pump. Youll get the answer. In all fairness many techs dont understand how it works.

This is the internet so i dont blame you for asking and i am not offended.

Your next trst should be to remove the fuel line from the larger of the nipples. This is the "in" line. Crank motor over. Do you have fuel spitting out?

festerized

Cadet
Thank you I stand corrected, I did some reading and you?re correct.
I have not tested inlet fuel line yet, will try tomorrow after work. I can see you?re on the right track with testing the inlet line, if no fuel is pumping then how can the primer pass fuel?
Wasn?t really a hum more like vibrating but now that I know how it functions its just the rod being energized

festerized

Cadet
No Title

Go figure, the day I don?t want it to start it starts first try
Hooked up clear line to line that supplies solenoid primer, fuel comes when motor turns over

Attachments

• photo248660.jpg
    photo248660.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Thats the fuel out line from the pump. You want to check the fuel in line that comes from the manifold. Where it hooks into solenoid.

Although thats a good sign, a ton of fuel should have been comimg out of that. It supplies the carbs.

Does it run well when you get it started?

If it were me I would disassemble the cap on the primer and make sure all orings are present and in proper place.

festerized

Cadet
Looks like I may have found the issue. The supply line had a crack at the end of the hose guessing from the hose clamp, cut hose back half an inch and replaced all clamps with wire tie type clamps and seems to be working fine. Today was the third day with no problems starting