1958 18hp 15024 Evinrude fastwin

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got this motor at an action. $55 can't beat that. The power head looks brand new! The lower unit was replaced with a different color lower unit. Red like the seahorse Johnson. Not a big deal. Lower unit seal needs to be fixed. 20 year old seal. Motor ran last year said original owner. But I saw that the throttle position didn't work properly. Start,shiftslow, to stop works. If you put the motor in F the throttle stops at 1/2 WOT..... Not sure what's going on. It just stops like it is maxed out. Not sure if it's shifting right. But I will be able to fix that. I think. Please help all tips welcomed.

lindy46

Captain
Turn the flywheel a little bit while shifting and she should go fully into forward.

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So is the fly wheel holding it back. Will it happen again?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Not the flywheel, the shifter. If the motor isn't turning over, it may not go fully into forward gear, which in turn may not allow the shift-throttle interlock to disengage enough to allow throttle advance...

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I haven't fired the motor at all. Just looking it over for now

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hold your left hand so its fingertips are pointing toward and touching the fingertips on your right hand. Pretend your fingers are gear teeth. Note that you cannot slide your left and right fingers together without moving one of your hands & fingers aside a bit. Same thing with real gear teeth. You cannot mesh them together unless the teeth "fit". Not a problem if it is running because everything is moving. But if not running, the teeth (think fingers) may be pointing at each other and one has to move aside.

The motor has an interlock to prevent you from doing dumb things such as running wide open throttle in neutral or starting the motor at wide open throttle in gear.

Did I explain that clear enough to understand?

EDIT: Oops, that is not quite correct. Your particular model can be started at wide open throttle in gear. Please be careful and don't do that. That's how people get tossed overboard and drown. ALWAYS be sure it is in neutral before starting!!!

Last edited:

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I get that. But on my seahorse you can move the throttle where ever you want. So I was just thinking it would be like that. The linkage isn't coming all the way across. I think it's the linkage

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I fired up the motor. I need to replace the impeller for sure. Wasn't working in the water pump. I didn't run it long wouldn't stay running. I will work on that when I but It back together. The motor still would not allow me to move the throttle all all just stayed in shift. Couldn't get it to start point on the throttle

lindy46

Captain
If the motor is in forward (not running) and you can't twist the throttle grip all the way to "Fast" - then something is binding under the flywheel. That mag plate needs to turn freely.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
With the l.u. removed while working on the water pump, drain and replace oil if you haven't done that, and test the gear shifting by moving the shift rod up and down. Check the shift lever and linkage on the powerhead side as well.

Can also try to resolve stuck or stiff throttle -- I would take hold of the mag plate and try to turn it manually. Check all throttle linkages while turning the mag plate. There may be old grease buildup underneath, and would probably want to disassemble and clean in that case. If planning on rebuilding the magneto, timing is good to handle it all.

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Right now I am working on it. Just took apart the l.u. I'm going to need a fly wheel puller to get the mag plate won't I? Does anyone have the pictures for all the linkage areas. I'm not sure I know all of the areas

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
mag plate/throttle plate will rotate with the flywheel attached. Should be able to reach under the flywheel and grip it/rotate it. Feel for metal-on-metal blockage (linkage), or hardened grease build up -- latter would probably give you some slight rotation.

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The throttle hits the brass piece that tells the motor what gear it is in. But if I move it to where it should be everything works fine. Hard to explain. I think I might just pull the fly wheel because I have no clue what is hitting and what isn't

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
That would be the mechanical interlock mechanism referred to above. It's not a throttle or throttle plate problem. The lock lever and mechanism is on the side of the block at the shift lever, and should release when you move the shift lever into forward or reverse. (It's the vertical lever that you are probably moving out of the way.) As I recall, there is a spring about half way up, and maybe that is broken or missing on yours. (The brass part you refer to is probably part of the throttle plate that is meant to bump into the interlock lever when the shift lever is in neutral.)

As you say, hard to describe, but sounds like your mechanism is broken somewhere. Pulling the flywheel probably won't help unless you end up having to pull off the throttle plate to fix the interlock mechanism.

I'm working from memory here. Maybe somebody can confirm or correct.

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will put some pictures up tonight. The motor won't release out of N sometime. F and R I have to grab the mag plate and move it then the motor will let me change gears

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Trying to add pictures but it's not letting me. My pictures are to big i guess. Don't know how to post them

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Hope you get it solved, as would like to see a pic (not too close when you get it -- need some orientation). Photo bucket works, as do the other options. (little camera icon might work for you, or attachment). Also, there are some stickies and useful posts over in the admin section(s).

Kriegs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The blue is the Evinrude motor. The red motor is the Johnson. I will put both up to compare.