1987 8hp evinrude runs fine hard to start

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1987 evinrude 8hp outboard. Once it's cranked is runs very well. But if I let it sit over night I have to put premix in the combustion chamberso for it to start. Any help or ideas of why the motor is so difficult to start will be much appreciated. The motor just starting doing this. It would crank on the 1st pull when I bought it three weeks ago.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like it's due for carb cleaning and rebuild. You can screw out needles and remove orifice plugs, and spray with carb cleaner (see if you get improvement), but highly likely you need to pull it apart and clean it properly. Take a compression check to see what you have, and good idea to get a spark checker and test spark.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you very much for your help. I will do as you say. I did adjust the idle. And put new plugs into it. After I did that it seemed to not want to start. Do you think of me just adjusting the idle and plug changes, could have made this happen. Also if I disconnect the fuel line. And pull the choke several times let some of the fuel out of the bulb it will cranked. Very strange.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
What is your cold start procedure? That motor has a primer and choke, the primer injects fuel directly into the intake.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
need the correct plugs, properly gapped. Standard plug is either a Champion L78V or QL77JC4, gapped to .030. Adjusting "idle" can certainly affect things for better or worse. Not sure what you adjusted -- could be the mixture needle on top of the carb, or the throttle idle stop which would be on the end of your tiller handle.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked up the recommended plugs for that motor on this site. It called for NGK BR6HS. And I did adjust the idle screw by the tiller. I didn't go near the carb mixture screws. I did not set the gap. I bought them at my local nappa store. I asked them to set the gap. They told me they come preset. I took the old man's word for it. I'm having a marine mechanic look at it Saturday. I described the problem to him he said exactly what you said. Sound like the carb needs cleaned and a new kit. I don't know how to rebuild a carb properly. Thanks for your time and knowledge. I will let you know how it goes. Have a great night.

Last edited:

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One more question I'm very confused about the model number. It is be8bacud. I looked to try and found out for sure what year the motor is. Evinrude site gave me a code to go by. Is this a1987 motor?

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you could help me figure out exactly what year this motor is that would be such a great help. I'm trying to get the motor ready way before duck season. Thanks again for your valuable time and knowledge!
Respectfully,
Randall

AEROCOOK

It's a 1987 model.
You didn't answer my cold start procedure question, I have the same motor and even after sitting for a year it starts in 1 pull if done properly. Many people are not aware of how the primer works, that's why I asked.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not completely aware of the properly starting procedure. I just went out and crank it on the 2 pull 3 minutes ago. Cold start procedure. I pump the primer bulb until it is very firm. I pull the choke all the way out. And pull the cord. There are old fuel lines com8ng off the gas tank. Is it ok to run a paper filter with this motor? Thanks again for your time.

Last edited:

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for your service Master Chief. It's so very much appreciate by my family and I.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you could explain the way you do your cold starts that would be very helpful. Thanks for your time.

AEROCOOK

The choke knob is actually a dual function choke and primer system. As you pull it out all the way it is injecting fuel into the intake (it's like a syringe) this is the primer function. if you release it from that position it should go back in most of the way by it's self with the red ring at the base of the shaft still being visible, this is the choke position. after the motor has warmed up a bit you push the knob in all the way, this is the running position.
Procedure...
1: Make sure the fuel line primer bulb is hard
2: Pull the choke / primer out all the way, it's spring loaded so you have to physically pull on it, by doing so you will be injecting the fuel into the intake, I always give mine 2 pulls.
3: After releasing the choke / primer knob it should naturally go to the choke position, after running for a short period of time, push the knob in all the way in, you are now in the normal running position.
Let us know if this helps.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That could be my problem. Ever time I pull the cord with the primer choke pulled all the way out. The primer choke moves in a bit. So I would pull it out each pull. Could this be flooding the carb? If the motor doesn't crank on the 1st pull should I leave it in the choke position instead of continuously pulling it out? Thanks for your reply. I did not realize that the choke had two jobs.

Last edited:

AEROCOOK

As you are pulling the knob out all the way, you should feel some resistance as the fuel is squirting into the intake just like squeezing a syringe. As I said. I give mine 2 shots then pull the cord and start it up. The knob when half way out is in the choke position. After giving it a few shots with the primer, even with the choke completely off, the motor should fire

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. One last question. When you say you give it two shots. Does that mean you pull the primer/choke out twice? I'm so sorry I'm not mechanic by any means. I'm trying and eager to learn though.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never mind sir. I reread your cold starts procedure again. I fully understand now. Thank you again for your time and knowledge.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor has been sitting since early this morning when I cranked it. I just went out and did exactly how you describe the cold start procedure. It fired on the 1st pull.