Johnson Stinger 75 no spark?

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought this 1978 Johnson Stinger 75. The guy I bought it from say it just died on him one day last summer. No spark on any cylinder. I have hooked up the remote box and connected a battery. With the ignition turned on I measure the values in the picture. But what to do next? The CDI-box is of course suspicious. But like to be sure before ordering a new.

Attachments

• photo248454.jpg
    photo248454.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Have you done a compression test and what have you done for a spark test. Is the ignition switch good and does it have a lanyard. Rare to lose spark on all 3

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
In order to test the ignition components on your engine, you need to obtain the cranking voltage from each component. This is done with a special "peak-reading" voltmeter. A household meter won't work. Refer to this website: cdielectronics.com. Look in the ignition troubleshooting guide for your engine. The stator must put out between 150-400 volts or it's condemned. The timer base must put out at least 0.6 volts. You can see your test values don't match what's in the CDI book.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Pretty sure it is not the coils, as it is unlikely all three would fail at the same time.

I might start by removing the kill wire from the pack - it'll be a black wire with yellow tracer. That would eliminate the key switch's off circuit as a culprit. You can also unplug the motor from the controls entirely and either jump the starter or rope it over to check for spark, too, to eliminate any control box issues as the culprit.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for your replies. I have eliminated the remote box, problem is not there. Even did the test without the box connected. Not a single spark... I may be able to borrow a CDI from a working engine, I'II get back to you with the result.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now I have sparks on all cylinders with the CDI-pack I borrowed. :joyous:
But I?m a bit confused with all numbers in the CDI-pack?
My old one has number 581925
The one I borrowed has number 581334
Marineengine com, tell me I should have 582057

I have found a Sierra box 18-5757 for a good price, should work right?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
could be superseded part #s. 582057 comes up as the correct factory one. 18-5757 looks like it should be an equivalent and should work.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did a test run today with the new Sierra cdi-box with good result. 👍 So fault found and case closed.