jumped out of gear, wont move

Buck_mcflowan

Recruit
I have a 1978 25 hp evinrude tiller handle, today i took the boat out for the thousandth time this summer and began to accelerate, right as i was starting to plane and hit full speed the motor jumped out of gear and reved all the way up in netural, i idled the motor back down and put the boat back in forward, but it reved up again like it was still in netural, so i tried reverse with the same outcome, i took the boat out of the water and checked the prop in gear and in neutral, in neutral the prop spins freely in both directions, in forward the prop will only spin clockwise, and reverse will only spin counter clockwise

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Has this gear case got a shear pin or is the prop shaft splined ??

Buck_mcflowan

Recruit
I belive splined? I new to this. I took the prop off, just one nut with a lock washer and it slid right off

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a spun hub draw a a line across the back of the prop across the hub and run it see if the line moves

lindy46

Captain
Prop can be re-hubbed for $40-50. Usually a dealer can fix it or send it out to be fixed.

Buck_mcflowan

Recruit
Ok so the line didnt move, i took the very bottom cover of the motor off and greyish water came out and it smelled really bad, a few ball bearings fell out also

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Now you will be fixing the lower unit a good one to learn on because the bullet splits in half.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Bearings fell out? Hopefully they were the clutch dog detents. Otherwise, you are looking at major $$. Also--no drive at all suggests a broken drive shaft or stripped splines in the crankshaft.