70 hp evinrude 1981 no forward

Dgill34

Cadet
My control box broke inside. I have replaced the broken bolt and put it back together since then it won't go forward. It will go in reverse and nuetral and sometimes when control is pushed forward the prop will spin backward, but usually nothing.

interalian

Commander
Number 67? #2 is the shift lever, #38 is throttle. #67 links the fast idle cam (#20) and engages #23 which permits shifting.

Dgill34

Cadet
Yes it was 67. It is fixed and back together. But now I have the no forward issue

interalian

Commander
If you put a new #67 interlock pin in and did it right, everything should work. Any chance you swapped the throttle and shift cables? Does the motor go into forward/neutral/reverse if you take the cable off the motor? (Turn the prop while shifting so the shift dogs don't jam.)

I've seen the #20 bent when the interlock breaks. Check it isn't bent and interfering with the mechanism.

Last edited:

Dgill34

Cadet
I didn't disconnect any cables. I may not have put #17 back in place. 20 looks straight. When I disconnect the shifter at the motor and work the shifter and throttle by hand it won't go forward unless I rev the motor with the throttle linkage. If I shift to reverse it goes in to reverse normally. Nuetral also works normal.

interalian

Commander
#67 is the shift interlock device. Also, if the fast idle lever doesn't go all the way down and lock, you may also have shifting problems. Does the idle lever try to pop up when you move the shift forward?

If you're not getting proper movement on the shift cable, something in the control box is still wrong. I'd be taking it apart and having a good look for other problems. Take pictures and post while you're at it.

interalian

Commander
If you put a new #67 interlock pin in and did it right, everything should work. Any chance you swapped the throttle and shift cables? Does the motor go into forward/neutral/reverse if you take the cable off the motor? (Turn the prop while shifting so the shift dogs don't jam.)

I've seen the #20 bent when the interlock breaks. Check it isn't bent and interfering with the mechanism.

From post #7.

Two different problems then. Have you had the leg off for a water pump change? Maybe the shift rod got turned? Is this boat new to you? Did you hit something?

Differential diagnosis can be difficult from an armchair thousands of kilometers away...

Dgill34

Cadet
I have never taken it apart. The boat was my brother in laws who passed away. It was working good, we have had it out on the lake a lot already. After that control box broke it revved high and slammed into forward. Then got stuck in reverse. I shut it off, took it home and repaired the box. When I took it out the first time after that I had forward at first then forward became reverse. I took it back home and put the muffs on and watch to make sure everything was moving in the right direction. All linkages move correctly. I'll take the box apart and post some pics later

interalian

Commander
Hmmm, a high-rev slam into forward isn't good for the clutch dog - could have broken a lug from the dog and it's rolling around inside the gearcase. I'd drain the leg oil and look for metal fragments.