Submerged 15hp Evinrude

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It should be aligned with a notch in the flywheel and a groove in the crankshaft. If the groove and notch are not aligned with the flywheel key in each part, then it is broken. If the flywheel key is each of these notches it isn't broken.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When you had the flywheel off, what shape were the coils in? Cracked or oozing oil/tar? That ignition system is a simple flywheel magneto, not much to go wrong. One other thing, that engine has a stop button, maybe it is shorting out?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??---You need to remove the flywheel to check the key.------Method in post 23 does not work !

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Submerged Motor Recovery

I got the motor running again. How long should I run it to get everything lubed? It took me about two weeks to get it going again. I understand bearings could be bad. Is there anything I can do to help them without removing powerhead?

It was in fresh water and motor was not running when it went down. Was in water 10 hours before recovery

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
it will lube itself on 25/1 and evaporate any water after a while. just run it for an hour or so to get it really warmed up... take out any dead fish :eek: .

being in the water protected it from free oxygen in the air which starts the rusting. oxygen in water likes being paired up with hydrogen and it take longer to migrate to steel so rusting is slowed down

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You will want to clean up the plugs after running the rich mix. While you are burning through the mix, though, I would add a couple ounces of ATF. It will not burn quite as well as the 2-cycle, but It lubricates very well.

Hope you continue to post actions and progress online -- offline doesn't benefit other listers.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I merged the 2 topics about this motor.

Please keep posts in the open forum, rather then lengthy PM only discussions.

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of the spark plugs coil on the end of the wire was broken. I did not use feeler gauge properly, set the points too tight. I removed the carb again and found the bowl was completely dry. The hole where the float sets was blocked. The coil broke on the rope puller so I wrapped the rope around the flywheel and it started third try. Choke all the way then choke off and then half choke started it. Ran it 2 hours with no problems at all. Still running double oil. When you say to add ATF are you saying Automatic Transmission Fluid for a vehicle?

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have run about 3 gallons of double oil gas through the motor, Is that enough? It was about 3 hours of running time