1977 35hp Johnson wiring harness

slabhunter

Cadet
I have a 35hp Johnson with no controls. I want to put a side mount remote on it. Trouble is that the engine wiring harness has a BLACK plug on it. :confused: I've seen a lot of good used controls with the red plug but don't want to waste money or fry any of my electronics. Is it possible to use one with the red plug or am I going to have to special order a new control box? Any advise and info appreciated.

slabhunter

Cadet
Re: 1977 35hp Johnson wiring harness

I have a 1972 50hp with a yellow plug. My other motors are mid 1980's and up and all use the red plug. The black plug on the 1977 Johnson seems to be a mystery to everyone I've talked to. From what I've seen of this forum I know my best bet at solving it is here. Thanks!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Wires in a 1977 35hp plug connector:<br /><br />red/purple - "BAT" terminal on ignition switch to large pos. stud on solenoid<br /><br />white - "S" terminal on ignition switch to small stud on solenoid<br /><br />purple/white - through choke switch to "A" terminal on ignition switch<br /><br />black/yellow - "M" terminal on ignition switch <br /><br />black - other "M" terminal on ignition switch to ignition coil ground <br /><br />I don't know if the red will mate with the black but maybe this wiring detail will help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

look about on this forum<br /> somplace I posted how to modify a red plug control box to a black plug. the main difference is in the kill circuits. the red plug set up wont work without the mods. the yellow plug was only used about 2 years and the black about 3. they are getting hard to find. the red plug was used maybe 20 years. and are easier to find.

slabhunter

Cadet

Thanks guys! Can you give me a ballpark timeframe for when you posted the red plug mod? Knowing what wires do what will help but I've been trying to avoid destroying the rubber plug. Just can't be sure a wire entering rear of connector at location "X" will correlate with pin/socket in same location and afraid to fry a sweet 35hp motor with 150# in both cylinders I got for $75.00. That would turn this "steal" into an ordinary buy dollar wise and more hassle to boot. This virtually free motor fired up in maybe 3 revolutions and I would be sad indeed if I screwed it up. I will definately look for that mod posting because like you said the red plugs are way more plentiful. I managed to get a yellow for my 72' electric shift 50hp Rude but haven't seen one single black plug harness for the 35 Johnson. I could just wire up an ignition switch and I have an OMC switch w/push key choke and know how to connect it. I am hesitant to do that because #1 I could see no way to tie into the black/yellow kill wire without cutting and splicing and I hate butchering nice equipment unless there's no alternative. I keep hearing people on the forum say to "disconnect" the kill wire from powerpack but mine looks to be hard wired. And #2 It would be much nicer to have it all built into the side mount remote. Your advise is very helpful and much appreciated. After a day I wondered if I'd get a response but figured someone would either respond would or wouldn't. Thanks again for coming to the rescue and I'll let you know how it works out. Tight lines!<br />JC

slabhunter

Cadet

I did find the posting on modifying the black plug to work with the red. Haven't had a chance to try it because I'm waiting for the controls. Found one cheap on Ebay. (red plug) Will let you know how it goes so others can benefit from it. Thanks again.