transom height for sea-drive

hp123

Cadet
My 1985 1.6L sea=drive has the cav plate mounted an inch below the keel. Boat runs awesome, planes instantly and remains on plane at slow speeds. Motor seems low and almost touching the water. No water inside the cowling. Is this ok? Should it be mounted higher?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: transom height for sea-drive

Hard to say since you didn't describe your boat. My guess though is that your motor is indeed a bit low. For many if not most rigs the cavitation plate should be at least even if not slightly above the keel for best performance.<br /><br />The SeaDrive mount puts the motor behind the transom much like a non movable jack plate or external bracket. The effect is it allows you to mount the motor higher than if it were sitting on the top of the transom. The problem for you is that to raise the motor you must drill new holes in the transom. I would not begin to recommend if you raise it or how far.<br /><br />One of the reasons that the SeaDrive assembly did not last long was that it results in the motor sitting close to the water. For many the result was water getting into the cowling and being ingested into the motor. Big bad news.<br /><br />By the way I have a pair of 1987s mounted on the back of a 1988 23' Wellcraft CC. I have had the rig for 12 years and have had zero problems with the SeaDrive assembly. I do take care in coming off a plane so that the stern wave does not wash over the engines.

hp123

Cadet
Re: transom height for sea-drive

thanks! My boat is a 20' thermoglass. I will take cre coming off plane and make sure seals in cowling are tight. Thanks!