30 hp johnson primer

Greasyfingers

Recruit
Ran motor for 1st time in a couple years and performance was off. Saw fuel leaking into water and found the primer leaking around the red bypass lever. Disconnected fuel line to primer and connected straight to carb. Ran great for half mile or so, but after idling down for a minute and quickly shoving to full throttle it died and wouldn't restart. Would this be caused by bypassing the primer or should I look for something else?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The red lever needs a new o-ring.----Easy to do.-----------There should be a fuel line going to the carburetor , so how did you connect the line to the primer ??-----And do you understand what the electric primer is for and how it works ?

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so basically, you connected the fuel pump line straight into a hole dumping unrestricted fuel into the intake??? It may be running a little on the rich side:laugh:

Greasyfingers

Recruit
I don't know exactly how the primer works. Just that it allows fuel into the intake when key is pressed in.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It really could be anything because the motor hasn't been run in a couple of years. Do a compression and spark test.

Was it overheating
Did the carbs have old fuel in them that plugged something up
Are you running old fuel
Is the fuel pump working
is the vent on the gas tank open

Greasyfingers

Recruit
Didn't do a compression check, the fuel was fresh, tank vent was open, water pump was working. I haven't opened up the carb yet, but it ran well until a hard acceleration was attempted.