will not start - power pack

jwood99

Cadet
1998 90 hp evenrude

It ran last week but not this week.
The starter turns over but will not start.
I replaced the fuel pump and the starter primer solenoid still no start.
NONE of the four spark plugs fire (i tested against the engine bolts-no spark on any)

It seems unlikely that all four coils went out at once.

The only other thing i can think of is the power pack.

1. how can i test the coils?
2. how cahn i test the power pack?
3. What should I check/replace next?

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would start with that wiring first VERY rarely will all 4 cylinders lose spark at the same time unless the kill switch or ignition switch is involved.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
1998 was the year that the kill tether fit over top of switch, this was a mechanical action as it actually turns key off....thats why it runs without a tether. Check it out using the CDI guide starting at power coil and voltage from solenoid to pack.

jwood99

Cadet
Last night i disconnected the black/yellow wire going into the power pack and i now have 3 of 4 of the spark plugs firing.

If i re-connect the black/yellow wire, the spark plugs no longer fire.

As for the one coil not firing, I ran it's spark plug and power wires to the lower coil and it did fire so i thin k i need to replace the one coil.

I'm not sure what to do about the black/yellow wire. I got the info from link below.

I also don't know what the stop circuit is and how to fix it. Just replace the ignition switch?

http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/113-4767.pdf

NO SPARK ON ANY CYLINDER:
1. Disconnect the black yellow stop wire from the power pack and retest. If the engine's ignition has spark, the stop circuit has a fault-check the key switch, harness and shift switch.

Thank you for your time!