92 Evinrude 90HP V4 engine quit no spark

fr0zenpuck

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I just sold my 90HP 92 V4 VE90TLEND, ran fine with muffs on the day before I sold it. The buyer dropped the boat in the water, started it up and withing 5 seconds the engine quit and wouldn't start.I looked at it today, no spark from any of the plugs. The engine appears to be cranking fast enough to produce spark.

I know that no spark can be the result of a bad stator, rectifier, power pack etc. Is there an easy way to identify working backwards what the issue is? Any clues based on the fact that it did start and then quit abruptly?

Looking forward to your response.

Frozenpuck

fr0zenpuck

Cadet
No Title

The CDI Instructions state "Disconnect the black/yellow stop wires at the power pack(s) and retest. If the engine's ignition has spark, the stop circuit has a fault. Check the key switch, harness and shift switch" I do not see a black/yellow but do see a brown/yellow harness. Could this be it?

Attachments

• photo247546.png
    photo247546.png
    605.2 KB · Views: 5

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Pic is of an aftermarket pack. Disconnect the i believe five pin amphenol connector. Jump the four wires that are not blk/yel. The other side of the connector should have a blk/yel. The brn/wht in the two wire connector is not the one you're looking for.

Place key switch in on position. Hook spark leads to a suitable open air gap tester set to 7/16". Use a remote start switch to crank engine and observe spark on each cylinder. If you now have spark test key switch and blk/yel wire for short to ground. If thise are okay you can usually replace the pack and be done with it. If still no spark test stator and timer base resistance and for shorts to ground.

Last edited: