1979 Evinrude 55 hp - Do I need to change the location of tell tale?

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a new to me '79 Evinrude 55hp that has the tell tale indicator outlet on the lower left (port) side of the engine block. I'm working on figure out what all gauges I need to get for it other than a better tach than my knock off tinytach and started looking at temp gauges. Then I started coming across post and comments online about people moving the water outlet to a higher location on some late 70s early 80s models because of overheating and blowing the head gasket. I guess there were some service bulletins about it.

One thing I saw -and maybe it's just for a temporary work around (I think it was on iboats, but can't remember) was that if the hose is routed from that low location over the top of the block before going back down out of the engine cover that it wasn't necessary to drill and tap a new location.

Ideas? thoughts? Thanks.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That was only for the the 3 cylinder blocks 86 and newer. You do not need to move yours

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok, that is good news. thanks flyingscott!
The motor was supposedly rebuilt a few years before the guy I got it from put it in storage for 3 or 4 more years. I was worried maybe that overheating was what could have caused it to need rebuilding.

Here is one of the links about relocating tell tale that I found after reading about people doing it when they put in a temp gauge... --- I guess I didn't read carefully to see that it was for 3 cyl only. I knew the years didn't quite match up, but didn't want to assume there wasn't a different SB out about other motors) --- For what it's worth: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...aq/228380-johnson-evinrude-adding-a-tell-tale