Sierra 18-7046 carb kit question

98SkeeterSS90

Seaman
Ok I'm installing the carb kit now on a 1978 85hp Johnson. I think it came with a couple extra parts. I'm to the point of installing the seat for the needle that attaches to float. The brass seat I removed from carb seemed to have a clear plastic ring under it, this kit has what looks like a rubber o ring that will go over it and it also has a red washer. Which one do I use??? The instructions don't specify. The seat and needle were in a separate bag than all the washers/orings

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

The kit is supposed to include a needle and seat 18-7093 in the first picture. And it looks like there is a gasket with the needle and seat.

Attachments

• photo247146.jpg
    photo247146.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo247147.jpg
    photo247147.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

98SkeeterSS90

Seaman
Ok the bag that has the needle and brass part does not have an o-ring in there with it. Will it be ok if I use the extra red washer that seems to fit it perfectly? The old one had a clear o-ring.

98SkeeterSS90

Seaman
Upon closer look at that kit it looks like both my kits DID NOT include that clear/white o-ring that goes under the brass part the needle goes in. I ordered from iboat so you think they will send me one?? VERY DISSAPOINTING

interalian

Commander
I've never seen one that didn't have a thin, clear ring for the seat. That said, I've also never seen one that came with a red ring large enough for the seat either. If it fits, you must... Well, just use the red one.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
and....use the little clip. Save the old one as well, if you have one, as they have a way of disappearing on the shop floor.

interalian

Commander
Yes, the little clip opens the valve should the rubber (Viton) tip stick in the seat.

98SkeeterSS90

Seaman
I used the red one on each carb. Got it all back together now just need to eat supper and I'll give a report back if she runs longer than 10-20 seconds! Thank y'all for all the help

98SkeeterSS90

Seaman
Ok she stars a LOT easier and better but seems to be idling really high. Spits and sputters a little bit. The rpm gauge is not hooked up I gotta trace down that problem but do any of you know how to adjust the idle rpm?

98SkeeterSS90

Seaman
Idle seems to be even higher rpm this second time I cranked it and I couldn't get it to cut off with the key had to pull the kill switch to cut the motor off. This guy screwed me royally. Putting new switch in now

98SkeeterSS90

Seaman
Just installed new ignition switch/key. Still won't shut off if I turn the key off and pull it out. Only cuts off if I pull the kill switch. The idle is scary high on this thing. Any ideas? Need some help desperately on this thing