1998 evinrude ocean pro 175

Peacedale17

Cadet
Hay guys I'm new to this iboats. I just picked up a 175 evinrude ocean pro that has had work done by a marina shop but has been sitting for a year off a boat on a pallet, I'm installing it this weekend 7/1/16 I guess I'm wondering what do I need to check most common to get this ocean ready maybe fluids, check water pump etc..... Thanks for your help and the model number and serial number if anyone knows a little about this motor I would be grateful for you help for this is replacing a 200 89 Merc that blew up on me. I did research and it seems like a solid motor and compression test was right on point.
Model. E175SLEOM
Serial. G 03943276

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
the model says the motor is a 1995....not a 1998......

other than being 3 years older the only difference is the plug ends that connect to the motor and the controls....bob

Peacedale17

Cadet
Yeah I found that out too the year bill of sale says 98 but I found 95 thanks. Will replace water pump carbs were cleaned in may of 2015 on the service records

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you bought it from a dealer I would go back and ask them about the year issue.-----Any boat shop knows the identification system on these motors.----Perhaps an honest mistake.

Peacedale17

Cadet
So this I have installed this motor on the boat so far so good but when I crank it over it just keeps turning does not fire and seems like it's not firing doesn't cough or give me a clue it wants to turn over!? And when until the motor up fuel comes out of the breather any suggestions???

Peacedale17

Cadet
And the cover that goes on the optical sensor is missing will that stop the motor from firing over.? I thought I read somewhere it might be an issue with the ring/ washer on it

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
well, you have to do a step by step elimination....lets start with....is there spark at the spark plugs?????

I think I have heard that any other source of light could effect the optical sensor....maybe that's why they have it designed to be under a cover!!!

but lets find out if we have spark!!

bob

Peacedale17

Cadet
No spark and if the cover is missing for the optical sensor could that affect it to fire??

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
No spark and if the cover is missing for the optical sensor could that affect it to fire??

try to crank the motor over at night...see if you get spark..... you do know that the battery and starter have to be strong enough to turn the engine a MINIMUM rpm JUST TO BE ABLE TO MAKE SPARK!!!!!.....so everything good be perfect and if the motor isn't turning fast enough when the key is turned, you wont ever get spark!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Some of those motors fed +12VDC into the powerpack, when cranking the motor. Look at the starter solenoid for a wire from the solenoid energizer wire to the powerpack. This doesn't change Bob's recommendation, just a note for your info.

Peacedale17

Cadet
Thanks everyone for your info. So I replaced the power pack because my diagnostics lead to that but apparently that was not the case. Still no spark just turning over. I'm stuck and it's late in the season here on the east coast. I'm prob going to have a mechanic look at it now but if there's anyone out here that knows this motor and may know a different route I would love to here a alternative b4 I had over money for the peak-a-boo on this motor

Peacedale17

Cadet
Hay bob if I connect jumper cables from my truck to the battery on the boat will that be good enough for the motor to give a spark?? Or even to have enough to start it?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
did you try cranking at night????......if your boats battery is weak, then jumpers may help....id be leery of running out onto the water after I got a jump from my truck!!...if the battery is bad, then I am going to get stuck out on the water.. the motor needs a minimum RPM to make spark.....I don't know what it is...maybe 500 rpm....not sure........there could be a stop circuit that's bad or grounded..... you have to make sure you have a strong battery and clean connections!!...take the cables off and clean them....make sure the battery has enough juice,,,,then if you cant develop spark.....you have several routes that you may have to take......trouble shooting no spark....can be a pain..... you COULD have a broken wire in the harness, under the floor...and you cant even access it!!..it happened to me once!!

Peacedale17

Cadet
Thanks it's a new optima battery. I hooked up the truck cause of me turning it over and over just to keep the juice good. My old motor cranked fine but that ceased on me so I got a used ocean pro from marina. I'm thinking it's something simple stupid but I'm stumped

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
a little while back another guy had a similar issue and it turned out the stop circuit wasn't connected in his control.....it could be a shift interrupt switch as well....

bob

Peacedale17

Cadet
So the leads going to the power pack have juice but when I check the leads coming off of power pack(cables) I can't get the tester to light up and it's a brand new power pack anything guys thanks

Peacedale17

Cadet
And with this motor I do not have the timing cover that goes over the optical lens, would that affect the starting of this motor( apparently the marina were I bought it lost the cover). I will take a look at the controls I did have to flip them from Port side to starboard

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Unplug the connector going into pack that has the black/yell wire and retest...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Unplug the connector going into pack that has the black/yell wire and retest...

so that is just the stop circuit???? unplugging that will say if the stop circuit is already disconnected someplace else???????? just wondering...electrical is my downside for sure!

bob