1975 evinrude 115 loose needle cage bearing installation on connecting rods

jammer777

Seaman
ok i have one last question i promise, haha

the connecting rods crankshaft bearing caps. the ones with the needle bearings in the cages, So I have the ones where the needles all fall out when you take the connecting rod cap off, is that happening because they are worn? or are they just loose? I have read online that there are loose kinds of the cages and the ones where the needle bearings are held in the cage. looks like if i order the parts new from Evinrude i would get the ones that are held in the cage and that would make this post rather redundant, but i have question regarding the loose type below

What is the method for reinstalling these on the connecting rod and the crankshaft, im sure many of you have run into this, and any attempt i make to install these just result in the needle bearings falling out everywhere as half the cap is upside down when reinstalling, so does anyone have the procedure for this? i cant find it anywhere no matter what i look for, would really appreciate some help!

interalian

Commander
Use OMC needle bearing grease. Load up the cage, lay it on the journal then load the needles. Bring the rod up to the journal. Smear more on the ends near the conrod split, add the needles that sit in the notches then lay a loaded cage on the other side, fit the needles then align the cap.

interalian

Commander
Oh, and they say to replace the conrod bolts if they've been used. I have no idea if that applies to ones that have been fitted, torqued and removed before running the engine though. The torque spec is high for so small a bolt.

You have to be careful when aligning the caps to make sure the joints are exact. I used a fingernail across the split to be sure. One gave me a few minutes headache before finally coming together properly.

jammer777

Seaman
ahh that's perfect! thanks interalian, appreciate the response, and thats awesome and simple and perfect!

interalian

Commander
I bought all the chemicals, sealants. gel seal, and greases needed when I rebuilt my motor. Used maybe 5-10% of all and will likely never use the rest.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----When you consider that these bolts are made with " alloy steel " and with a strength of up to 180,000 psi , the torque value is not very high !

interalian

Commander
^ then why replace rather than re-use them when re-building? Not a challenge, just an honest question.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I always re-use them and never a problem.---Dip them in oil and tighten to the required torque.----Have done more than one motor.-Can not count how many.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I had one snap off within 2 minutes after starting it after a rebuild. Rod came out through the case and the shrapnel drew blood. And yes, it was tightened to the proper torque, using a torque wrench. Believe me, I've always replaced them after that. Screws are a lot cheaper than a new cyl & crankcase assy. Besides, you can bill the screws to the customer, not so with a crankcase that was "my fault" (not).

interalian

Commander
Ouch. That's the eventuallity I thought I'd avoid when I shelled out $40 for a set of replacements.