1989 Johnson 120 Electrical/Ignition Questions

ayaresr

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone,
Haven't been around for a couple years. Anyway, I have a couple questions on a Johnson outboard I was helping out with over the weekend. Its a 1989 120hp.

Apparently the motor has had a history of some issues, including falling on its face and stalling when you try to open it up and plane. The carbs have been redone at least once, if not twice, and its been tested on a portable tank with the same issues. It wasn't running at all when the current owner bought it, and through testing was determined that it needed a stator. After replacing that, the motor was running this weekend.

After getting it running, it wouldn't shut off with the key, and the safety kill switch at the helm does nothing. Grounding the correct wire on the power pack does kill the motor. My meter shows the key is pulling the correct wire to ground when switched off, though I'm thinking at this point either damaged wire or a corroded connector somewhere. Cleaning and replacing ring terminals at the key didn't change the situation.

When going through everything in the motor, there is a single orange wire with a female spade connector on it laying loose near where the wiring harness comes into the motor, in the area of the harness connector, though the orange wire appears to run up toward the top of the motor, possibly toward the power pack, I can't remember at this point. My understanding from the orange color is that this should be related to the capacitor discharge ignition.

Two questions here:
1) Does anyone know offhand where this wire should be connected from the description of the type of connector on it and the location where it is laying? I didn't get enough time to go over the whole motor with a wiring diagram.

2) Any thoughts on the other issues? I needed more time than I had to try some other various tests with some wire to sort out the kill issue. The falling off issue was described to me as almost like its starving for fuel. The previous owner had struggled with the same problem relating to stalling and never got it sorted out. It idles fine, and as I said, carbs were redone, and good fuel in a portable tank was tested as well. I'm not really sure what else was tested as far as the stalling issue.

Thanks,
Ryan

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
With regard to number two, you have an open in the blk and yellow wire somewhere between the key and the power pack.

Ohm key switch as described in the manual or on this site about a hundred times. You can search for it.

In one of the stickies there is a diagram of the red plug. Separate red plug, separate amphenol connector at power pack/s. Remove blk yel wire from key switch. This has isolated your kill circuit. Now ohm from red plug to the ring terminal at key switch. If low ohms then its.not your problem area. Ohm from engine side of red plug to the blk yel. Should find an open somewhere.

If you don't find a bad wire it's the pack many times.

This is just one guys suggestion. Many others will.have different ways to do it.