1979 evinrude 150 V6 2 stroke has no telltale

ECFD531

Cadet
i have a 1979 evinrude 150 V6 that has no telltale (pee tube) was trying to figure out how to install one or install some sort of thermostate guage to determine the temp yo avoid over heating in the future

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I believe there should be a telltale on that pretty sure evinrude added them on most models 1977 and later. Need a model#

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Shows one on there lower right side of the lower cowling should be a nipple

ECFD531

Cadet
the casing has a spot for one but their is no lines of anykind coming out of the motor for water

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
convert

Looks like #68 by the exhuast bubble is what you are looking for I would look around there

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It's important that the engine has a hose barb for the telltale. Possible that the PO changed the outer exhaust manifold for an older one. Telltales came out in the 78 model year. The 76 and 77 flatback outer manifolds were not drilled for the telltale hose barb. Possible the engine is actually a replacement 76 or 77 powerhead, regardless of what the serial plate says on the transom bracket.

ECFD531

Cadet
yea thats what im thinking that the motor was rebuilt and peiced together, do you know if this motor is equiped with a high temp buzzer, their is two wire that run into the top on both sides

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Definitely older than a 1979 model somebody else is going to have to help you there. Other people are much more knowledgeable than me about that motor.

ECFD531

Cadet
i just looked up a 1977 175 and its has the flat head manifold on it, not sure if any of these parts are interchangeable

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That flatback plate was the same for most all the crossflow years, with the exception of the drilled hole for the telltale and the 82 and up plates that were drilled for the new-style trim control box. Regardless of your year, you could easily find a good used outer exhaust manifold and repl the one on your engine. I wouldn't worry about the year, just get a used one with the hose barb installed. Your engine is ancient, as it still has some of the original factory coils on it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
model identification 1.jpg You should look at the special stamped plug on the top of the engine. Probably painted over, but it is there. About the size of a quarter. Has all the good info for that block. Original serial # and the model #, which will tell the year and hp. See this picture of the plug and check yours out. This model # indicates it is that it is a 1985 150 XP/GT model-the high perf version of the std 150.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I would be very care full trying to take that exhaust cover off. You may have a lot of bolt issues, or they may come right out. If I were going to attempt it I would use a very low power impact. Like a little 7.2 volt hand held. Trying to shake the bolts out without breaking them. Just a humble suggestion.