Neutral safety switch OMC control

Sparky1776

Recruit
What is the easiest cheapest way to replace the red neutral safety switch in a single lever OMC throttle control?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If your asking how to disable it I won't explain that except for testing purposes.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
not sure, but isn't that the kill switch/dead man's switch? Think jakedaawg's post is right -- buy a replacement, and install. Switch broken -- button busted off? (just curious)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What is the easiest cheapest way to replace the red neutral safety switch in a single lever OMC throttle control?
"Red"?? I don't know if it is red or not, but I'm thinking not. If you are speaking of the Neutral Start Safety Switch---the one that makes you have it in neutral before you can start it--you have to take the control off the boat and take it apart to get at it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Are you talking about the neutral lock lever that you pull up on to shift. If that is what broke and If you have the older external box take it off and take the allen bolt out of the back. Then use 2 wood wedges to pry the black handle off when it's off you can get to the red lever.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Are you talking about the neutral lock lever that you pull up on to shift. If that is what broke and If you have the older external box take it off and take the allen bolt out of the back. Then use 2 wood wedges to pry the black handle off when it's off you can get to the red lever.
Oh, THAT red thing!?! Good thinking, flyingscott. The wood wedges is one way, another is to loosen the screw on the back a couple of turns and give it a whack with a hammer to knock the handle loose. Whichever way one chooses is OK with me.