1987 evinrude 175...to fix or replace

pmoxsib16

Cadet
So I'll keep this short and sweet...like the title says I have an 87 evinrude 175...started running bad yesterday...pulled the plugs this morning and found water on them...pulled the port side cylinder head and found a Crack in the top cylinder sleeve and the walls of the block that the sleeve is pressed in to is split...should I invest in a remanned powerhead because otherwise it ran great...or try to repower with an updated motor...boat is a mako 20ft center console...just looking for opinions...maybe a point in the right direction.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Probably better to upgrade and get a newer motor, sell yours for parts and jump up a decade or so in design.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Find the best motor you can for the right price, brand makes little difference except for the controls.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Does anyone still reman the 160 cubic inch crossflow anymore? The 149 inch is still avail, but won't adapt to the midsection of the 175 powerhead. You may be able to repower with a good (newer) engine that is slightly used. You'll need to look for at least a 200 to match the power of the old 175 Rude.

StingRay_90V4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes... But they were well known for poor reliablity and having engine problems. The Fitch company kinda ruined Evinrude. When Brp bought them out they resructured Evinrude and made them reliable again . more or less from what i have read and understood. Maybe someone can chime in and give u
You more info. But long story short. Stay away from all Fitch engines they say. They just are not great engines from what everyone says.

pmoxsib16

Cadet
Ok I will be sure to stay clear of them...now the hunt begins for a motor...I'm in maryland...anyone have suggestions of where to start my search

pmoxsib16

Cadet
No Title

Ok guys I found this motor it's a 1999 Johnson 175 . The model is J175PXEES. Is it worth the money and is a good option for repower...and would my current controls work

Attachments

• photo246546.png
    photo246546.png
    848.8 KB · Views: 0

pmoxsib16

Cadet
Anyone have opinions on a suzuki dt150 super six...been on a fresh water boat...waiting for model number to get year...guy is selling with all controls ...upgraded to a larger 4 stroke on his pontoon

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Parts availability for them is a HUGE issue do you have a dealer near you no aftermarket parts availability. They are really good motors if it's in good condition but I would have it checked out by a reputable mechanic. I would not pay a premium for it. If it was me I would stay with mercury or evinrude or yamaha. Does it have 2 plugs per head

Last edited:

pmoxsib16

Cadet
Parts availability for them is a HUGE issue do you have a dealer near you no aftermarket parts availability. They are really good motors if it's in good condition but I would have it checked out by a reputable mechanic. I would not pay a premium for it. If it was me I would stay with mercury or evinrude or yamaha. Does it have 2 plugs per head

Yes it has two plugs per cylinder and I don't know of any suzuki dealers local to me. The guy wants $4000 for the motor. I need to repower the boat because the concensus is not to put a Power head on it...I have the money just have no idea what to buy this is my first boat and I'm getting no where with research every motor I find someone somewhere says not to buy it lol I can't afford a brand new Honda or Yamaha so I'm at a loss lol

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Except for waterpumps the aftermarket is pretty bare for them. Just something to think about they are good motors but when suzuki went 4 strk the factory kind of forgot they made 2 strks. I would say call these guys and talk to them I have gotten parts for older spirit motors from them.

http://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/home.asp