1984 johnson 115 primer solenoid

Kevinhand26@

Cadet
Motor will not crank unless gas is shot through the 2 clear hoses to the carb. Its my understanding that pressing the key in before and while cranking it was supposed to let the gas through those two hoses. If I manually turn the red knob it let's the gas through then I turn it right back it starts fine. I am thinking about replacing the primer but I don't understand what is supposed to trigger the primer to work when I press in the key (which I originally thought was a choke) I see no wire going to the primer am I missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated

boobie

Supreme Mariner
There should be a purple/white wire going to the primer to energize it which comes from the key switch. Check your wiring over.

Kevinhand26@

Cadet
The purple /white wire I see comes out of the back of the solinode and connects at the top of solinode. There is also a black wire that comes out of the back of solinode a ground I guess but I don't see where it gets power from the key switch or any wire running to the primer solinode.This motor is new to me wasn't running when I got it so I might me missing a wire or something that I don't know about

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Take a test light or volt meter, turn your key on and push it in and see if you have any voltage on that purple wire. If not, find one that does when you push the key in.

Kevinhand26@

Cadet
I got to lookin found a purple/white wire that run around the motor and tied into the grounding block. Took it off put a test light on it pressed in the key and it lit up. Got it where it's supposed to be now and works great. Thanks boobie I never would have figured it out on my own.