Fuel Filter or Not? Johnson 150 / 200HP

Hoop1101

Cadet
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1990 Johnson 150HP motor with 1976 200HP carbs/fuel pumps installed. I am finally getting my outboard running after doing a powerhead swap almost 2 years ago. Anyway, to my question. The motor has been running well during testing from a 6 gallon portable fuel tank. I am unsure of the condition of the boat's main fuel tank, which I would like to use (at least for this year). I am worried about any particles that may be in the existing fuel tank. Can I install an in-line fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pumps? I know the fuel pumps have screens, but I would like additional protection. I understand that one concern with filters is restriction, which would cause a lean condition which = bad for 2 strokes. I also didn't know if pre-mixed oil/fuel would cause a problem for most fuel filters designed for pure gasoline. If the filter is coarse and checked often, would this be an acceptable solution at least for the first few tanks of fuel through this old tank?

Thanks!

-Hoop1101-

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Buy a fuel/water separator filter, they're almost mandatory on setup like this. The filter has no idea whether there's oil in the gas, and it makes no difference.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^second that. Also suggest testing the fuel at the bottom of the tank -- siphon some out and let it settle in a glass jar. Check for debris and water (fuel will ride on top of a layer of water). Permanent tanks can be a real pain, and can lead to multiple rounds of carb disassembly and cleaning. Depending on how old the fuel is and its condition, you may want to siphon it out and dispose of it -- or just continue to run with portable tanks.