1984 Johnson 40hp outboard lower unit

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Picture of lower portion of the driveshaft.

Attachments

• photo271565.jpg
    photo271565.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

pinion on forward are in really good shape.

Attachments

• photo271566.jpg
    photo271566.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0

SweetD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reqarding your post #18, removing the seals - I just did this this past weekend during my LU resealing project (1985 25hp Johnson, also pulled bearing carrier with a harmonic balancer puller, but I had the threaded holes to work with). They do make a bearing puller tool, but if you take a sturdy flathead screwdriver and carefully and slowly work the blade around the inner part of the seals, they should come out. Careful not to damage the housing/casting.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone, Thanks you for the correction on the drive shaft. It took heat, a grinder and chisel to get the bearing housing off. But after 33 years it is off. Waiting for some parts then time to reassembly.
Hope that goes a little quicker than the disassembly.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
To me it appears there is damage to the pinion teeth.----No surprise to me considering the failed thrust bearing for the pinion / driveshaft !

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
I will post a couple more pictures of the pinion and forward gear. There was some fuzz on them when I took the pictures which is what I think you might be picking up in the post. There is one super small nick on the gear at the very top but doesn't look like it will affect anything. I appreciate your opinion after I post updated photos tomorrow.
thanks

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone here are a few more pictures of the pinion and forward gear. They look to be in really good shape. I ordered my replacement parts from T C Electronic/marine. I was frustrated for a while as I didn't receive the water pump kit. They are a Canadian company making it difficult to get in touch with them. Once I did they provided great customer service rushing my order and throwing in an extra part that wasn't included in my seal kit. I hope to put this back together this weekend and bring it in for a pressure test.

Attachments

• forward pinion.jpg
    forward pinion.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • pinion 1.jpg
    pinion 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • pinion 2.jpg
    pinion 2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look good.----The pinion normally does not survive failure of the thrust bearing under the pump.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
Got to put everything together this weekend. Took it to the boat shop to have a pressure test. It passed the test and is ready to bee installed and taken out for a test run. Thanks for all the help. Racerone I really appreciate your advice and tips.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone, you said the lower unit I purchased and tried to use on my 1984 would not work due it shifting in opposite directions. I am going to try to re-sell 1974 lower unit. Would you or anyone else know what years and HP this lower unit might fit on? It did bolt right up to the 40hp I had and ran in reverse / forward. I would like someone to get to use it if there is a need for it.
thanks for the help.