1984 Johnson 40hp outboard lower unit

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
I am attempting to rebuild the lower unit on my Johnson 40hp motor. I have removed the prop and the bushings that rest against the bearing assembly. I also removed the 3 bolts inside bearing assembly. Now I am attempting to remove said bearing assembly. I watched a video and it mentioned using the two bolt holes and use a puller to remove. This was on a 115 Johnson. The 40hp does not have bolt holes to screw into. Is there a method for removing this assembly? I attempted to rig the puller using threaded rod but don't have anything to screw it into.

Last edited:

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
this was an older post that I am still looking for answers. I purchased a replacement lower unit that I was told would fit the motor I have. Good news was it fit bad news the linkage is backwards, so when I put the boat into forward it goes in reverse and vice versa. Trust me when you attempt to pull away from the dock and to goes the wrong way its kinda a little shocking. It runs but I am not able to get the full potential out of the motor.
​thanks for any help

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Classic stuff.--Sounds like the lower unit is from a 73 / 74 model.---They do shift opposite.------You can not use that lower unit without changing linkages on the motor.,

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks.
Now any ideas on how to remove the bearing assembly? I am making an attempt as we speak. A lot of PB buster and threaded rod bent into a J hooking in the three spokes of the assembly. There are no screw holes to use. There is also a flat part of the assembly housing that is in the way? Super frustrating.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Salt water motor ?-----The J-hook / slide hammer works for me every time !!----And careful as that bearing carrier is listed as NLA too.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
yeah salt water motor, now a fresh water but the damage was done prior to me buying it. I read applying some heat with a propane torch to the outside of the bullet might help release it. Thought? Racerone when you said the bearing carrier is NLA what does that mean?
I appreciate the help.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
I have a crazy assembly with chains bolts hooks a harmonic puller putting a lot of pressure on it but still no release. Any other ideas on how to get this thing out?
I put a little heat on it, not too much worried about causing problems. Banging on it with mallet shot it with PB Blaster.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Seems to me, and its been awhile since I had one that old in the shop, that there are at least threew cap screws down deep in there. There also may be little locking retainers or a key in a slot.

I think that it needs too come apart. Its junk now being that it will not separate. Get some all thread rod and bend J hook into it, put the all thread through a puller, use two hooks, one on either side of puller, heat it well, and pull...

I will post a pic of my set up on monday if you remind me, kinda slow at the shop this week with all the bad weather...no one is breaking their stuff...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
NO locking retainers.---No key in a slot !---It should just pull out.---Corrosion products are jamming it.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
My rig finally worked. Bunch of chain couple bolts harmonic puller and a ton of PB Blaster and it finally released. Not having the tapped holes to use really made this one fun. Now onto removing the two large snap clips that are rusted/corroded in place. Once I get in there I can see what the root of the lower unit being seized is.

Attachments

• 20170714_191644_resized.jpg
    20170714_191644_resized.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If those rings are rusted there is no doubt that the shafts / bearings / gears are rusted.---You will be shocked at the price of the parts.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
Another day of success and new questions. Got the 2 snap clips out. Removed nut at the bottom of the pinion. This proved to be a feat. the cause of all my issues is the beveled bearing at the top of the drive shaft. Rusted solid bearing not moving at all.
So first question is the driveshaft as a few dents / indentations where the rollers dug into it. Does this need to be super smooth to allow the bearing to ride freely.
2nd question is there a trick to getting the two bearings out of the bearing assembly?
I will post a couple of picture next.
Again thanks for all the insight and help. I really appreciate it.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
Here are the dents in the drive shaft.

Attachments

• 20170718_211233.jpg
    20170718_211233.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope---That is the bearing.-----You remove that and throw it away.------Post pictures of the bearing surface just above the pinion.-------Pictures of gears and other bearings too.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

here are a few pictures that I need a hand with. Removal of the seals and bearing best way. Also to remove prop shaft and reverse gear from bullet.

Attachments

• photo271561.jpg
    photo271561.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271563.jpg
    photo271563.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo271564.jpg
    photo271564.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

best way to remove reverse gear prop shaft and clutch dog from housing.

Attachments

• photo271564.jpg
    photo271564.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 0