Fuel issue 98 Johnson 6

Behr20

Cadet
My motor will only run for a minute or less wot before it bogs down and won't maintain high RPM. It'll try to get back to normal only to bog down after a second so you've got a second of acceleration followed by the motor losing power. Pumping the primer seems to help, so I cleaned the carb, made sure the jets were clear, and rebuilt the fuel pump with new gaskets and diaphragms. That didn't work. I'll be buying a new primer bulb after work today in hopes that'll help. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

leenihon

Recruit
I am having same problem. I rebuilt fuel pump. Bought new tank and hose and cleaned carb. Same thing I have not found out what is going on either. it will run until I get far enough away from ramp to not be able to paddle back. Have to put wife and kids hand pumping primer bulb to get back. Seems to work better with cover off motor but still won?t pull up water skiers.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
If pumping the priming bulb keeps it going the problem is most likely to be either a dodgy fuel pump or air being sucked into the fuel line.

The most likely place for air to enter is the at the connector between engine and fuel line due to a damaged or worn O ring in the connector

You overhauled the pump , but what indication was there that the pump was faulty ? Is it now OK ? If you pull the discharge hose off and crank the engine does it spurt out fuel?

You say you will be buying a new primer bulb .... but why if it primes the carb bowl surely its OK?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Leenihon, start a new posting and provide a model # of your motor.----The " same problem " and your 6 hp won't pull skiers ?

Behr20

Cadet
Vic,

I rebuilt the pump simply because it was cheap and it seemed like the most likely culprit. There were no tears in the diaphragms or any indication it was bad once I took it apart, though. I figured the bulb might be leaking air and it's another inexpensive thing to try. I haven't tried the discharge hose yet. I'm assuming that's the fuel line from the pump to the carb?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
2 stroke or 4 stroke motor ?---------If 2 stroke then check for crankcase pressure pulses.

Behr20

Cadet
Forgot to mention it idles fine and revs up in neutral alright, but dies after almost a minute of wot under load.