1987 Evinrude 150 E150STLCU hard start & spitting / popping may need reeds?

wowchad

Recruit
I just bought my first outboard on an old Ranger 373 and I knew ahead of time it might need reeds / leaf plates so I ordered them along with a new water pump impeller, wear plate and housing.
My boat mechanic moved out of state and everyone else is booked out 6-8 weeks so I plan to tackle the reeds myself, but I'll admit I am slightly intimidated by this foreign style engine.
Any input on what causes spitting & popping besides reeds and can a weekend / shade tree mechanic take on this job?

Also why on a 6 cyl engine is there only 2 plates?

tlewis1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just recently had a similiar issue with on a V6 Evinrude where it wouldn't start and the odd time I would get fuel spitting back at me through the top carb. Was thinking reeds as well until I pulled the carbs and got a flash light with a skinny screwdriver in and checked all the reed plates. They were all ok from what I could tell....

Cleaned all three carbs while they were off and after putting them back the engine fired right up the first time......Long story short before changing out the reeds I would inspect them with the carbs off and while their off give them a good cleaning.....Broken reed valves are rare and usually come from a over rev situation.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Before you get into the reeds, make sure the flywheel key is intact. If the key shears, the timing will be off and will pop and backfire.

James R

Commander
Spitting or sneezing could be a result of a lean mixture. When were the carbs last rebuilt? Carb rebuild and lower unit service are the two essential things to do before you run an unknown motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are 6 reed boxes with 2 leaf plates each so a total of 12 are required !

Last edited: