1987 Evinrude 150 fuel pump alternatives

Karma16

Cadet
Hello guys,

I am needed input on finding a fuel pump for my 87' Evinrude 150. The VRO system has been completely removed and the previous owner had placed a fuel pump on it from another motor however, it did not provide the engine with enough fuel and it would never open up and even at full throttle die out from fuel starvation.

I have been browsing the web, for ideas. I really do not want to shell out $500 for a new VRO pump set up. I have thought about adding a fuel pump from a 1997 Evinrude 150 like the one pictured below ....

$_1.JPG

I thought I could have the one line going in and a line going out of it to all three carbs. Has anyone tried this? Or is this a bad idea all together?

I have also found these from maxrules

8402-2A.jpg

however they are more expensive at $300...

Just need some thoughts and opinions and what I should look at doing.

James R

Commander
The 150 needs two pumps in tandem. One is a lift and the other the pressure to the carbs. I have a photo of one of my set ups. I will try to find it.

James R

Commander
Can't find the photo but I will try to find the file of one of the subject motors for the pump numbers. Not overly important but need capacity. Two pumps and some fuel hose, clips of course and one additional connector to pick up the second crank case pulse port. You can see the pulse port currently used. Above that on one of the cylinders above you should see a second port plugged off. This is for the second pump. All this will cost you around $180. So Max Rules for less aggravation is not bad.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
For years the crossflow V6 engines used the dual mechanical pre-mix pumps. Last year for them was 1983. You should check out the factory parts website: epc.brp.com. Look at the fuel system for any 83 V6. All used the same pumps, hoses. The original factory pump part numbers have been superceded, so take the numbers you need to a Bombardier dealer and they will give you the superceded pump numbers. FYI, the two pumps are the same part number, but one comes packaged with a special J-hose, so it's sold as a different part number.

Karma16

Cadet
I am thinking that I am just going to have to shell out the cash and get the parts from maxrules. It is less aggravation and should only take a few moments to install.

I have another question. The only hoses going to to the carbs from the old fuel pump the previous owner had rigged up was the fuel line from the tank and the hose going out to the carbs. I was looking at the diagram on Max Rules on the installation procedure.

Can someone tell me where I find the Pulse line?

I am pretty sure it is the hose that has been capped off by a bolt by the previous owner below the fuel pump area at the bottom of the motor case....

can anyone confirm?

Karma16

Cadet
I'd like to thank everyone for the input.

The boating God's smiled upon me tonight... I just got on ebay and found an OEM VRO/Fuel pump from an identical motor for $85. I went ahead and grabbed it and a rebuild kit.